Grr asked in Business & FinanceCorporations · 5 months ago

What are some good vegan foods I can buy at my local supermarket?

I want to eat vegan but I don't know what tastes really decent. I need some recommendations of what to try

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

There is hummus But it must be made fresh. Nothing with preservatives in it.

• Janet
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Black beans, garbanzo beans, navy beans, pinto beans, lentils ... all either dried (the cheapest) or canned.

Served with black rice.

THIS will be your daily source for vegan protein .. legumes with rice.

Vary it with tofu sometimes, quinoa other times.

You need to eat 0.36 grams of protein for every pound you weigh. For most people that will be 50-100 grams of protein a day.

Yes protein is in everything, but HOW MUCH protein depends on the food itself.

If you decided you were going to get your daily protein from lettuce alone, you would have to eat 10 HEADS of iceberg lettuce a day !!! Do you really think you could choke down 10 heads of lettuce in one day?

Broccoli is a little better .. you would only have to eat 1-1/4 gallons (20 cups) of raw broccoli a day to meet your protein needs ... that is DICED broccoli (you fit more broccoli in when it has been diced, than when it is in stalk-form) (600 calories)

Make that ONLY 5 cups of black beans with brown rice (1108 calories)

And for chicken? ONLY 1-1/4 cups of cooked chicken meat (125 calories)

Do you see why people eat meat for their protein?

You can only fit so much food into your stomach.

You CAN get enough protein as a vegetarian, but you had better learn how to do it.

Responsible eating starts with being a responsible adult when it comes to being informed and making wise choices based ON that information.

Also, make sure you take supplements that you cannot get from a vegan diet: Vitamin B12, calcium, iron, and zinc

Vitamin B12 can also be gotten from nutritional yeast (not to be confused with baking yeast) .. it is flaky and has a mild cheesy taste, and can be sprinkled into any gravy or sauce you make, added to stews and legumes, even sprinkled over popcorn. But you probably have to go to a health food store for that.

Otherwise, you should buy milk substitutes (soy milk, almond milk, rice milk, etc). You need those nutrients.

Make sure you eat a big green salad every day. Dress it with squirts of fresh lemon, or a mixture of extra virgin olive oil with balsamic vinegar .. or eat it with no dressing.

And all the vegetables and fruit you want. Also, herbs and spices, since legumes tend to be pretty bland.

That is all you need to buy.

Avoid buying meat substitutes, meals or foods prepared in the factory (other than straight canned goods). They are not a healthy alternative.

• Wendigo
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

to be knowledgeable about nutrition, and yet either aren't, or worse, are being intentionally deceptive, and by far worse are those who intentionally misstate facts, and would use similar to what some vegetarians and vegans uses pseudo science, myths and old wives tales.

• Daisy
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Rice, beans, pasta, fruit, veggies (frozen,canned, fresh), chips, soda, etc, etc.

• Mark
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

Most good supermarkets have a dedicated vegan section for packaged goods. If not, ask the Grocery Manager if they'd consider putting one in to the store.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Just eat grains, fruit, vegetables, tofu, and non-dairy cheese. You don't have to buy packaged foods. Just learn to cook.

• 5 months ago

Anything from the fruit and veg section.

Anything in the grains and seeds section.

Dried pasta, beans, tomatoes etc.

It's really easy to find vegan food.

• Bee V2
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

Tofu doesn't taste like anything, so it will adopt the taste of whatever you put on it/in it and it's the texture of scrambled eggs, it's pretty good so you can look up recipes to make with it. Also I noticed vegan meat is really good and you can't taste the difference sometimes, like vegan chicken, vegan burgers, or vegan pepperoni pizza.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.