Can John Wall be cut?

Pardon my n00bish question, but it seems like the Washington Wizards will be stuck with John Wall's supermax contract for the next few years. And given that Wall's game was predicated on speed, it is very likely he won't be as good after the injury. So, hypothetically, can he be cut? In sports like... show more Pardon my n00bish question, but it seems like the Washington Wizards will be stuck with John Wall's supermax contract for the next few years. And given that Wall's game was predicated on speed, it is very likely he won't be as good after the injury. So, hypothetically, can he be cut?

In sports like football, a player can be cut to reduce salary cap implications and open roster spots. It seems like the Wizards (once again) are stuck under a contract that will keep them from being competitive (and the only team in this supermax-injury conundrum.) What are the rules that could help/hurt the Wizards in this regards?

(Put aside for the moment John Wall's talent or contributions to the team: it is a safe bet that Wall will not live up to that supermax contract even if he's fully healthy in a year. I don't hate the guy: I just want a reason to cheer for something besides ping pong balls.)