Do you think scientists cringed in embarrassment as other scientists quoted the Bible during the Apollo 8 mission?

23 Answers

Relevance
  • Doug
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

    The Astronauts reading from the Book of Genesis as the Apollo 8 flight orbited the moon for the first time was one of the most awesome events in the history of the world. Any scientist who would have been embarrassed by that should be ashamed.

    Source(s): www.askmeaboutgod.org
    • Caesar
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

      No scientist was embarrassed and the ship was named Apollo like a Greek deity...

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Paul
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

    Maybe those who are atheists did, but many scientists are aware of the reality of God.

    born again Christian biologist

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

    More likely real Christians cringed when fake Christians and fake Catholics who pretend they have the first clue about science claimed to know what actual scientists think. Like this question does.

    http://www.catholicdigest.com/faith/spirituality/a...

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

    Oh, yes! I cringed. I am a natural cringer, and I've been cringing ever since.

    Source(s): scientist
    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Caesar
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

    Only a few theist people make those fantasies about reaction or cringe... the majority of theist know that science is nothing about theism or atheism. Do you cringe in embarrassment that the spaceship was called Apollo? The divinity of the Greeks, Apollo has been variously recognized as a god of archery, music and dance, truth and prophecy, healing and diseases, the sun and light, poetry, and more. The new Moon mission to put a woman on the moon is called Artemis...Artemis is known as the goddess of the hunt and is one of the most respected of all the ancient Greek deities. The daughter of Zeus, king of the gods, and the Titaness Leto and she has a twin brother, the god Apollo. Do you cringe about that fact?

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Duck
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

    Nah. It was probably a pretty awesome moment.

    • helene
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

      It was..

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

    No, it was pretty dramatic on Christmas Eve.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • .
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

    Yes, it is unsettling.

    There is a theme of "firmament", which would support the "flat earth" view.

    The Apollo 8 crew recited Genesis chapter 1, verses 1 through 10, (saying "firmament" five times).

    ...And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.

    And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.

    And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day...

    Wernher von Braun's gravestone quotes Psalm 19:1:

    "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork." (KJV)

    Wiki:

    In biblical cosmology, the firmament is the structure above the atmosphere of Earth, conceived as a vast solid dome.

    • Climate Realist
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

      BS

      Firmament does not support a flat Earth view.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

    No, 97% bowed their heads in prayer. The other 3% were atheists and may or may not have.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • David
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

    I think they were probably pretty proud of the astronauts.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • ?
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

    No. The USA was so wholly Christian-dominated at that time that it would not be out of place to see someone arbitrarily reading a bible verse at any time of any day and at any place.

    • ...Show all comments
    • skeptik
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

      Ironically, they chose those verses to read because they WEREN'T explicitly Christian.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.