Are you white and have ever felt or been discriminated against, due to your race?

We always hear about minorities and people of color being discriminated against or experiencing racism, but has this also happened to you as a white person?. Please honest answers.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Whites are the ones who are racist.

• ...Show all comments
    • .Jerry.
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

I guess we haven't learned anything then. The cycle of discrimination continues and does not end by just changing the target of discrimination.

The only way to end discrimination is to stop discriminating.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

"Are you white and have ever felt or been discriminated against, due to your race?"

Yup. I was the "victim" (if you will) of affirmative action which disallowed me to compete for a job I was excited to apply for. That was my introduction to the work world right out of high school.

That is what's known as legal discrimination. It means systemic, or state-sanctioned discrimination. It's the kind of discrimination that made Blacks sit at the back of the bus, or did not allow women to vote, or mandated separate water fountains by race. This legal discrimination is the worst type of discrimination because it is mandated by law, and enforced by the power of the state.

What you are speaking about (and most self-proclaimed "victims" or racism are usually speaking about), is personal / social discrimination. That means by one or more people ... none of whom have any authority or dominion over you or anyone else. If you want, you can just ignore these types of racists, because they have no power over you or anyone else. If they try to impose their way, we can call the police on them. We all have the same Rights and Freedoms.

In this sense, it is Whites, and Men that are the actual victims of discrimination where it counts today, via legal discrimination This was ended for Blacks, and women under the Civil Rights Act legislation way back in the 1960's. It's time to bring men, and Whites into this same era of full legal equality. THEN we can collectively begin a discussion on human bigotry and attempt to deal with social racism and discrimination.

• ...Show all comments
    • .Jerry.
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

We'll that's because "whites" aren't in power as so many incorrectly believe.
      There is an elite class, most of which are white. That does not mean all whites have power. In fact very few do.

Our whole history has been one of CLASS rule and not race rule like so many have been misled to believe.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

As a white man I have felt left out

from time to time mainly by other ppl

who're apart of my alleged made up

group too!

• 6 months ago

White folks are often discriminated against when traveling because they are assumed to be rich, so they are offered especially high prices...and there are some countries where they are told that the goods they want are not available...or even that they should go away. But these things happen to all foreign tourists no matter what their skin colour, to some degree.

In the USA, there is sort of a standing truce between the black people and the white people, with both sides muttering ungracious things about the other (and often fervently believing what they say). White people who offer greeting to black strangers on the street are pointedly ignored about 70% of the time, but this is perhaps not surprising because it is only 30% of the time that white people seem to acknowledge the presence and humanity of black people near them. White people sometimes have their places in queues jumped when there are a majority of black people waiting with them. White people often receive very dilatory service from black people in retail and government settings, particularly if they are waiting among a majority of black people. Some white people have been surprised to receive very negative or challenging behaviour from complete (black) strangers whom they seem to have inadvertently offended (which is often the case). However, I've never seen a case where a white person was actually denied service altogether (other than being invited to leave a black-owned speak-easy due to looking too much like police) or actually threatened by a black person (that is, outside of actual attempts to commit crimes, which in themselves are likely motivated by opportunity rather than skin-colour). And lest that come off sounding like black criminals in the USA target white people (which I don't believe they do to any predictable extent), I will say that I'm aware of several cases of the opposite, including murders by white police. (Let me qualify that by noting that there is, among black Americans, an assumption that white people are not street smart and are more susceptible, as a group, to scams. The vast majority of black people in the USA do not perpetrate scams any more than white Americans do, but whether they do or not, this stereotype of the callow white person is widespread.)

The same situation seems to be developing between white people in the USA and their growing Spanish-speaking minority, with the added twist that Anglos (as they are generally called) are more often bad-mouthed within their hearing, due to the cloaking provided by the different language. As with black people, many individuals seem to carry an undercurrent of suspicion and resentment toward white people - not to mention distaste for certain customs that they ascribe to all Anglos. However, the main expression of these convictions at present is simply the fact that Anglos are clearly unwelcome in certain drinking establishments (although I've never heard of them being actually kicked out).

This all sound quite grim, but the Americans - all of them - do seem to mingle at restaurants and international markets without much effort, and strangers of different skin-colour, language, or religion can often be seen nodding in recognition of each other, giving way, holding doors for each other, and even helping at market with cooking or shopping instructions. So even in that most-divided country, while discrimination abounds on the subtle, personal level against white people as it does against black and other peoples (who also face other discrimination the white people often can't even imagine), together they are somehow managing to move forward despite themselves.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Yes. This happens routinely to white people visiting many Japanese bars and restaurants in Thailand. It is made very clear that we're not welcome.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.