Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 5 months ago

Stopping the contraceptive pill and starting Seven Seas?

I’m wanting to get pregnant but I’m still on the pill. I’ll be finishing the pill next week then I’ll have a period, can I start taking my conception pills straight away? I didn’t know if my pill would still be in my system and taking Seven Seas would mess my hormones up? But I want to get pregnant as soon as. Thanks.

• Edna

What's a "conception pill"? Seven Seas is a vitamin. It won't help you get pregnant.

• Suzy Q

You seem to be confused.

Yes, it is recommended to start taking folic acid or prenatals (or as in this case, cleverly marketed 'trying for a baby' vitamins) containing folic acid when - or ideally before - trying to conceive.

No, this is not because folic acid helps you get pregnant.

No, this does not in any way mess up your hormones.

You can, and should, start taking folic acid now. Having enough in your body when you conceive and during the first trimester reduces the risk of neural tube defects in your baby.

This doesn't however mean you need to buy anything marketed as a 'conception pill'. Any over the counter folic acid supplement (400-800 mcg) will do the trick, and no vitamin will make you conceive any faster.

If you opt for a multivitamin, use one marked 'prenatals'. This will not only have the appropriate amount of folic acid, but also the other vitamins in amounts that are safe during pregnancy.

Another genius reproducing. Joy of joys

You can take any vitamin you want whenever you want.

I see nothing in their printed material which makes any claim about speeding up conception.

• MissA

Seven seas is a prenatal vitamin. It is a scammy garbage prenatal vitamin, but it's just a vitamin. It has no effect on your hormones.

Nor, incidentally, will it make you get pregnant any faster. The claim that it does is why it is a scammy garbage prenatal vitamin.

But you may take it whenever you like. You can take it right now.

• MissA

They call it “trying for a baby” and claim that it “supports normal fertility and reproduction” and “helps regulate hormonal activity” on the box. They’re clearly positioning it as a fertility aid.

• God

The only conception pill you need is the one that you ride.

• Tavy

Seven seas are vitamin pills , there is no way they can help you get pregnant. Millions of older people take them.

Are you confused ?

• Tavy

My husband is on folic acid to help his Parkinson's, is he going to get pregnant. It is taken to strengthen the nervous system, and during pregnancy. It cannot help you conceive.

• helene

You can stop taking the pill whenever you want. You can start taking your vitamins whenever you want. They are JUST VITAMINS. They will not "mess up your hormones," and they will not help you conceive, either.

• Suzy Q

It's recommended to take folic acid while trying for a baby (hence the name) but NOT because folic acid is considered a fertility aid.