Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsWeather · 6 months ago

I live on a ridge about 600 feet above sea level. It always seems to rain here more than the surrounding area. Can 600 feet be high enough?

to cause rain to fall?

Favorite Answer

Yes. It can be enough as well for it to fall as snow when it rains down below. Even a couple hundred feet can make a noticeable difference. Whether a local ridge or highland actually experiences noticeable differences does depend somewhat on the specific situation.

I live on a ridge system (late glacial deposits) where my house is at an elevation of 106m above sea level (there is a marker just up the street) and I more or less overlook a fairly major river valley at 20 m ASL elevation that directs weather systems, and it rains more and snows more up hear on the upslope region because of the cooling that occurs even with that slight change in elevation. These sorts of "microclimate" effects are not uncommon.

Whether you actually and truly get more precipitation is not guaranteed, but it is definitely possible.

• Edwena

yes. there is an updraft of moist air that goes cloud high. There are places that are in the right spot because of a portion of a bay and the wind direction that get much more moisture than other areas. Really nice farms in those spots.