Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 7 months ago

I've got a court order that I have to sign my child birth certificate I have never even met my child . I'm refusing to sign it , the other?

Parent is taking me back to court about it can I get in trouble at a t can happen

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

If your coparent can convince a judge to order a DNA test you may not be able to get out of paying child support (as one assumes is your play here).

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

Signing or not signing the birth certificate doesn't really mean anything. I don't know why a court would order this. Proof of paternity is the DNA test- have you taken one of those? In any case, if you don't do what is court ordered, you'll be put in jail. Get a lawyer.

• 7 months ago

Of course you can get in trouble for not obeying a court order. Contempt of court, you can end up doing jail time. It doesn't do you any damage to sign the thing.

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

You can be fined and/or jailed for contempt of court. The judge could order you to stay in jail until you agree to sign.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

No, the judge would simply have someone else sign it FOR you.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

You can always say you're not sure you are the father.

• 7 months ago

You meeting the child has nothing to do with it. It is your child. Be a man and do the right thing. Get in trouble? You can be jailed. It is not the child’s fault. Pay up.

• 7 months ago

If you don't think that you are the Father, then you should get a paternity test. If you are the father, this is what the link says:

A father’s refusal to sign a paternity statement will not get him off the hook for paying child support. If a father doesn’t voluntarily sign a paternity statement, the state will go to court to establish that he is the father and collect child support.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books...

• Kieth
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

You can go to jail for violation of a court order, have you consulted with an attorney?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.