Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 7 months ago

I've got a court order that I have to sign my child birth certificate I have never even met my child . I'm refusing to sign it , the other?

Parent is taking me back to court about it can I get in trouble at a t can happen

• Foofa

If your coparent can convince a judge to order a DNA test you may not be able to get out of paying child support (as one assumes is your play here).

Signing or not signing the birth certificate doesn't really mean anything. I don't know why a court would order this. Proof of paternity is the DNA test- have you taken one of those? In any case, if you don't do what is court ordered, you'll be put in jail. Get a lawyer.

Of course you can get in trouble for not obeying a court order. Contempt of court, you can end up doing jail time. It doesn't do you any damage to sign the thing.

• Bruce

You can be fined and/or jailed for contempt of court. The judge could order you to stay in jail until you agree to sign.

• Nuff Sed

No, the judge would simply have someone else sign it FOR you.

You can always say you're not sure you are the father.

You meeting the child has nothing to do with it. It is your child. Be a man and do the right thing. Get in trouble? You can be jailed. It is not the child’s fault. Pay up.

If you don't think that you are the Father, then you should get a paternity test. If you are the father, this is what the link says:

A father’s refusal to sign a paternity statement will not get him off the hook for paying child support. If a father doesn’t voluntarily sign a paternity statement, the state will go to court to establish that he is the father and collect child support.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books...

• Kieth

You can go to jail for violation of a court order, have you consulted with an attorney?