I recently bought a house. No issues with the power until yesterday. Half the house had power (basement, dehumidifier, living room)?

The rest of the place did not have power. Noting was tripped at the breaker. I turned all the breakers off and then the main. Waited 30 seconds. Turned all the breakers back on and then the main. Power was restored. This happened off and on, every few hours. At one point, I was in the bedroom and the fan was only drawing half power. The only thing I did prior to all this happening was fix a outlet. It was wired wrong and not getting power. I worked it correctly and it had power. Since then, this is what I’ve been having. It’s always the same areas, without power.... when it happens.

There may have been a reason why that outlet was broken. It could be the reason for the faulty wiring and subsequent problems you are having. Do not mess with electricity. Call a qualified electrician to evaluate the situation for advise or a price quote on how to fix this electrical issue.

If your main line from the street to the meter is buried another possibility is a leak in the line. A friend of mine had this happen. It took a while for the power company to find the problem. The line was aluminum and had a crack in it that cause some current to "bleed" into the ground. It had to be dug up and replaced.

If u have already found a fault there may be more.

Get a reliable sparks in to check the whole place over.

• Kaz

I strongly suggest you have an electrician look at this. We had a problem when we first bought our house too, the lights in the living room and the refrigerator went out, the breaker was fine - nothing was tripped. Comes to find out, we have a separate breaker (or fuse) box in our garage (which shares that same wall with the kitchen and living room). Fortunately, it's rarely been a problem - but we now know how to restore the power.

Maybe the outlet was deliberately wired the wrong way as a quick fix by the previous owner or builder? Call in a qualified electrician asap or you will make your house insurance invalid now that you have admitted there is an issue there.

Maybe the breaker on that circuit is faulty? Swap it for a known good one to test.