Has the world made you ashamed to speak in tongues in public when a prayer is needed?

Tongues give us the a witness that Christ will never leave us or forsake us and being Born Again speaking in tongues is nothing to be ashamed and in the gift of tongues, we see God, hear him speak and if desire and seek God through this gift of tongues you could have healing hands for an example....all gifts of God are available but or be only given if one can handle it...I for example could not handle the gift of Healing but another can....Here we are having God's Holy Spirit in us and let others that have none rule over you....Why Christ said, "Darkness covers the earth and gross darkness covers the people"

12 Answers

Relevance
  • BJ
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Modern-day speaking in tongues is very different from the gift of holy spirit given to Jesus’ early followers.

In fact, there is no reliable record of anyone receiving that same miraculous power since the death of the apostles.

This is not surprising to Bible readers. Regarding the miraculous gifts, including that of speaking in tongues, the inspired apostle Paul prophesied: “They will cease.”

Those today who seek the gift of tongues that God no longer bestows on his people are really opening themselves to deception by Satan, who, we are warned, would use “every powerful work and lying signs and portents.” 2 Thessalonians 2:9, 10.

first-century Christians who received the gift of speaking in tongues used it to explain the things of God.

Stress was laid on the need to interpret clearly the message conveyed in tongues so that it could be understood by all and result in the edification of many.

Paul admonished: “Unless you through the tongue utter speech easily understood, how will it be known what is being spoken? You will, in fact, be speaking into the air.”

• Login to reply the answers
  • Doug
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Speaking in tongues (except on the first Christian Pentecost, in Jerusalem) has proven to have very limited, practical value.

Source(s): www.askmeaboutgod.org
  • 6 months ago

Not so much the world as it is doubts because of other Christians. "Speaking in tongues", or the "gift of tongues" is though the Holy Spirit, according to His will, not our own. It usually is a one time thing to benefit the hearer, so that they can hear the message in their own spoken language. It is not for ourselves, but a sign to them of the power of God. "Prayer language" is not the same as speaking in tongues and it is not an ongoing sign of being infilled by the Holy Spirit, which many charismatics and pentecostals believe.

I have personal testimony for this as I was used once to speak to a foreign exchange student who attended a bible study I was giving to high school students. His English was limited, but he had an earnest question that he wanted me to answer for him. I felt compelled to say that I would answer it after class. I was finally able to talk with him after the church service, up in the front of the church by the altar.

I thought I was explaining the answer to his question in broken English, praying that He would understand what obviously was a very important question to him. The answer was simple... it was about Jesus Christ. At the mention of His name, I felt a rush of the Holy Spirit that seemed to come from my innermost being go out to this young man. It hit him like a ton of bricks, causing him to jump back several feet. There was amazement and what I realized was a complete recognition of the answer within his eyes. He started jumping around and then hugged me as he left smiling and obviously filled with joy. God is so good. The experience left me humbled and grateful to be used by Him in this way.

There is another story I would like to relate as well. A woman was speaking in tongues at a Pentecostal church, when a man stood up and yelled at her to stop. She was talking in his native language, but was speaking blasphemies. There is a reason for the scripture saying that there should be an interpreter. Just a warning to consider.

• David
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Actually, scripture tells us that we aren't all to have the same gifts. According to 1 Corinthians 12, gifts are dispensed as the Holy Spirit wills. 4 Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord. 6 There are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons. 7 But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. 8 For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit; 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, 10 and to another the effecting of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills.

No spiritual gift, including tongues, is universal. Neither are we to despise anyone else's gifts.

27 Now you are Christ’s body, and individually members of it. 28 And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues. 29 All are not apostles, are they? All are not prophets, are they? All are not teachers, are they? All are not workers of miracles, are they? 30 All do not have gifts of healings, do they? All do not speak with tongues, do they? All do not interpret, do they? 31 But earnestly desire the greater gifts.

And I show you a still more excellent way.

That way is found in 1 Corinthians 13, the way of love. We are to love our fellow believers. Part of that love is to refrain from quibbling about whether some spiritual gifts are more desirable.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Scripture repudiates you.

Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 

So your "tongues" is not the Holy Spirit.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Indeed speaking in tongues is one of the gifts of the Holy Ghost but should never be done unless there is someone to interpret; also it is an old lost Hebrew dialect that is lost to all except the angels of God: TONGUES, GIFT OF The Spirit-given ability to speak in languages not known to the speaker or in an ecstatic language that could not normally be understood by the speaker or the hearers.

Apparently the only possibly direct reference in the Old Testament to speaking in another tongue or language is found in Isa 28:11 "For with stammering lips and another tongue He will speak to this people." This seems to be a reference to an invasion of the Assyrians. They apparently would speak in another language, one probably unknown to the people of Israel. The apostle Paul later applied this verse to speaking in tongues (1 Cor 14:21). The apostle Peter considered the phenomenon of speaking in tongues that occurred on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2) as the fulfillment of Old Testament prophecy (Joel 2:28-32).

In an appearance to His disciples after His resurrection, Jesus declared, "And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues" (Mark 16:17).

On the Day of Pentecost, the followers of Christ "were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance" (Acts 2:4). The people assembled in Jerusalem for this feast came from various Roman provinces representing a variety of languages. They were astonished to hear the disciples speaking of God's works in their own languages. Some have suggested that the miracle was in the hearing rather than in the speaking. This explanation, however, would transfer the miraculous from the believing disciples to the multitude who may not have been believers.

Tongues as a gift of the Spirit is especially prominent in 1 Cor 12 and 14. In 1 Cor 12 the phenomenon of tongues is listed with other gifts of the Spirit under the term gifts. As one of the several gifts given to believers as a manifestation of the Holy Spirit, tongues is intended, with the other gifts, to be exercised for the building up of the church and the mutual profit of its members. In 1 Cor 13 the apostle Paul puts the gift of tongues in perspective by affirming that though we "speak with the tongues of men and of angels" (v. 1), if we do not have love, the gift of tongues has no value.

In 1 Cor 14 Paul deals more specifically with the gift of tongues and its exercise in the church. In this chapter the tongue is not an intelligible language, for it cannot be understood by the listeners. Therefore, a parallel to the gift of tongues is the gift of interpretation. The gift of tongues was used as a means of worship, thanksgiving, and prayer. While exercising this gift, the individual addresses God not man; and the result is to edify himself and not the church (1 Cor 14:2,4). This gift is never intended for self-exaltation but for the praise and glorification of God. Paul does not prohibit speaking in tongues in a public service (14:39). But he seems to assign it to a lesser place than the gift of prophecy. Paul claims for himself the gift of tongues-speaking, but apparently he exercised this gift in private and not in public (14:18-19).

The gift of tongues is to be exercised with restraint and in an orderly way. The regulations for its public use are simple and straightforward. The person who speaks in an unknown tongue is to pray that he may interpret (1 Cor 14:13). Or, someone else is to interpret what he says. Only two or three persons are to speak, with each having an interpretation of what he says. Each is also to speak in turn. If these criteria are not met, they are to remain silent (1 Cor 14:27-28). The gifts of speaking in tongues and their interpretation are to be Spiritinspired. Paul also points out that tongues are a sign to unbelievers. If these guidelines are not observed, unbelievers who are present will conclude that the people of the church are out of their minds.

The phenomenon of speaking in tongues described in the New Testament is not some psychological arousal of human emotions that results in strange sounds. This is a genuine work of the Holy Spirit.

• Everard
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

"This is a genuine work of the Holy Spirit."

Boolshit.

Glossolalia is simple Jibber Jabber that fools simple folk 😎
      ~

• Sean
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

I don't have a problem with people speaking in tongues. What I do have a problem with is people emulating those around them using a gift of tongues improperly and doing it for attention. I also have a problem with similar churches teaching gifts of the spirit as if they were sorceries. These gifts are supposed to be from God, and God in his time and way will bless you to use them. If that's the case, why would I need to go to a prophecy seminar to learn how to prophecy? They act like there is a trick to its usage that others don't know, and the fruit of that is very bad.

All too often am I hearing people use the gift of tongues or prophesy or something else as if they were the source of it, and it only breeds confusion, hatred, and jealousy. This in turn causes dissensions and we are not to have that in the church body. When God inspires us to use gifts, it's more like at Pentecost and how it all worked out great and to the glory of God. When we take the reins, people are disrupted, and many of the churches that flaunt the gifts of the spirit in their sermons and gatherings are often acting like crazy people rather than the calm intelligible teachers God represents in the apostles who had these gifts.

• 6 months ago

I have never spoken in tongues. It is mostly gibberish these days.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

The things of God are foolishness to those who are perishing. If someone isn’t around to interpret this - the language of angels - to be understood by those hearing, you should keep it for when you are alone so as not to cause someone of weak faith to stumble.

• 6 months ago

The modern so-called speaking in tongues has been studied and found to be just gibberish. The gift given to the Apostles allowed them to be *heard* in whatever language their audiences spoke.

Source(s): Greek Orthodox Christian
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.