How to choose best headphone?

Well first thing to determine is how will use them ? Do you need portability, something to work on in, or is this something that you will be just sitting listening to and of course what is your budget. There of course is a wide range of designs, and how they will be used. In ear headphones of course will never be as good as over the ear types but over the ear types are not very practical for working out in or even walking in. ( "in My opinion" ) another factor is background noise a issue as the better headphones are open ear type so background sounds can be heard. I'm not a fan of noise canceling headphones either. Also very important to understand is that most good headphones will require a headphone amplifier as well, unless you have a source with a good quality headphone amplifier built in. So that must be considered in the final choice.

It is tough to have the opportunity to hear the better headphones first before purchase but some high end audio stores typically have some models to listen to. If not then your kind of taking a chance on reviews.

The best brands are: Stax, Audeze, Sennheiser, Highfiman, and there other smaller esoteric headphone manufactures worth a look at. These of course are not cheap brands and most require a good headphone amplifier.

For those more on a budget, Sennheiser and Highfiman and Grado , focal, make some excellent sounding headphones.

Most of the typical brands people hear about are junk in my opinion. Bose, Klipsch etc.

So your listening taste and budget is the biggest determining factor.

See if there are some local independent high end audio stores that have headphones on display for you to addition.

Kevin

40 years high end audio video specialist

Listen to them.

In general, it is never the "best" headphone, it is the best you can afford. But after you establish an amount you are willing to spend then it is time to read reviews and if possible listen to them. Sure, you can have headphones for $150 that sound as good as $300, but it is not likely you are going to buy a $20 paid of headphones that sound as good as a $200 pair (unless I suppose you buy super crappy $200 pair).

For most people going above a few hundred dollars for headphones isn't going to be worth the sound difference. And really, if you are just looking for all around casual listening there are many great options under $100

Listen to them.

I do this and it never fails. I ALWAYS buy the price in the middle, not the $20, not the $100, I buy the $35-$50 ones that have high reviews and happy customers at Amazon, it has never failed me especially with a 1 year warranty

• keerok

Look inside wallet.