Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareOther - General Health Care · 6 months ago

How to sleep while sick?

It’s currently almost 5:30 in the morning and I haven’t been feeling well all of yesterday and when I decided to put myself to sleep at around 11:00, it was horrible. I woke up 45 minutes every time I fell asleep because of muscle aches and I need to get back to a proper position, I was very cold and then I started sweating even when I was cold and that kept me up, throat was irritating me. I woke up at around 3:30 and stayed up since and I don’t feel the need to sleep but I want my body to heal and I know sleep is the best medicine.

• keerok

Just lay on the bed and close your eyes. Every time you wake up, go to the toilet, urinate, then go drink a glass or two of water, just plain water, then go back to bed. No TV, no phone, no computer, no screen whatsoever. Just lie down and close your eyes. Don't think. Just clear your mind and feel yourself get better.

It sounds like you are going through the worst of it at the moment. Of course, I don't know what it is that you have, a bad case of the flu perhaps? Eventually, exhaustion should make you sleep. You are pretty sick right now, so accept that this is going to knock you out of doing anything for at least 3 days, possibly a week or more. It happens to all of us at some point. Tea is good, try drinking some tea. If you can't sleep, then just do something that you like, listen to your favourite music, read books, play a video game. Hopefully, at some point, you will just fall asleep.

You won't get better by willing yourself to get better so that you can get on with things asap. You will have to relax as best as possible, and let your body decide when it wants to sleep, and when it's ready to move on from this.