Should I have handled encounter with mentally challenged person better?

Today I went to a Cat Café in the city for an one-hour timeslot. At the end of the one-hour timeslot, I went to the reception to let the staff know I was leaving. At the desk were two customers - a guy who looked either late teens or early 20s, and with him a woman. As I walked passed the guy, I suddenly tripped... show more Today I went to a Cat Café in the city for an one-hour timeslot. At the end of the one-hour timeslot, I went to the reception to let the staff know I was leaving.

At the desk were two customers - a guy who looked either late teens or early 20s, and with him a woman.

As I walked passed the guy, I suddenly tripped and knocked into him.

The guy turned to me and said in a loud, slightly aggressive voice: "Careful... CAREFUL..."

The woman with him said: "Manners! You must have manners in public"

The guy said (of me): "She tripped on my foot" and crossed his arms and pouted.

I was afraid at this stage that he could get nasty and aggressive. So I apologised to him quickly and had a quick conversation with the woman.

It appears the guy was mentally challenged, and the woman was his caregiver.e

OK, I am not qualified to deal with mentally challenged people, and I said very little because I didn't want to make the situation worse. I don't respond well to being yelled at.

I'm thinking maybe I should have explained to the woman I was rushing but did not mean to get in anyone's way? Or I handled it OK given the time limit.