Should I have handled encounter with mentally challenged person better?

Today I went to a Cat Café in the city for an one-hour timeslot. At the end of the one-hour timeslot, I went to the reception to let the staff know I was leaving.

At the desk were two customers - a guy who looked either late teens or early 20s, and with him a woman.

As I walked passed the guy, I suddenly tripped and knocked into him.

The guy turned to me and said in a loud, slightly aggressive voice: "Careful... CAREFUL..."

The woman with him said: "Manners! You must have manners in public"

The guy said (of me): "She tripped on my foot" and crossed his arms and pouted.

I was afraid at this stage that he could get nasty and aggressive. So I apologised to him quickly and had a quick conversation with the woman.

It appears the guy was mentally challenged, and the woman was his caregiver.e

OK, I am not qualified to deal with mentally challenged people, and I said very little because I didn't want to make the situation worse. I don't respond well to being yelled at.

I'm thinking maybe I should have explained to the woman I was rushing but did not mean to get in anyone's way? Or I handled it OK given the time limit.

Favorite Answer

The apology was sufficient, and his caretaker had him under control. There was no real problem here.

i would just be careful so you dont run into people again

• Angie

You handled it just fine. You apologized to the young man, and explained yourself to his caregiver. Of course, normally if we bump into someone, we make our apologies and explanations directly to that person, but in your situation, it was not really possible. If there is a potential problem with someone who has special needs, it is best to go through his/her caregiver. The caregiver has knowledge and insight into his/her client's specific needs and challenges that others on the outside cannot possibly completely understand. Those of us on the outside may certainly have compassion and good intentions, but sometimes those things are simply not enough when it comes to handling a situation with someone who has special needs. The caregivers are the ones with the talent and expertise to help guide their client's through a difficult moment while keeping the situation under control. He is likely not capable of handling such situations on his own, which is the entire reason why she is there, to be his guardian and representative.

whenever I encounter mentally challenged people (aka trannies) I just ignore them

I think you handled it very well from your description. Stop overthinking things. It will only result in you finding fault in things you do when there is none. This is how anxiety begins

• Cogito

What you said was fine. Don't overthink this.