How much longer will the ssd drive live compared to the normal one?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

I remember arguing with a Fry's Electronics employee about the longevity of a SSD. He claimed a SSD would die quickly because Thumbs Drives die quickly and both use Flash memory. The problem with his argument is with a Thumb Drive, it's not the Memory IC (chip) that was dying.

As an Example, The Memory chips used in the Crucial MX500 250gb drive are rated for 100 terrabyte write cycles (endurance rating). I have a Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD that I've been using for 3.5 years and I've only managed to put 27TB/write cycles on it.

When the publications like Anandtech have performed a constant read/write stress test on these drives, it takes them a very long time to get past the rated Terrabyte write cycles, and these drives will go well past the rated write cycles. The rated write cycle guarantee for a SSD is mostly for warranty purposes.

A SSD should be able to last well beyond it's usefulness. The only things that really breaks a SSD is a bad Firmware update. The other thing to look out for is recently a bunch of Off-Brand Solid State Drives by companies like TC Sunbow, Inland Professional,KingDian, and a host of other new companies has flooded the market.

The other thing to look out for is some of these cheap Solid State Drives are now using Quad-Level Cells (QLC) Flash Memory will not have the endurance of the older and faster MLC and TLC chips. However, the 1tb Samsung 860 QVO still has a high Endurance rating.

As far as a standard platter drive goes. The platter will last a very long time but it's usually the spindle/axle or the reader arm that goes out. These Data Recovery services take advantage of the endurance of the Platter by rebuilding the drive around the platter.

• Login to reply the answers
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Very very very short.

• 6 months ago

That is uncertain. They have a limited number of read/write cycles so will eventually become less usable. They also have the problem of data-fade if data is not accessed/rewritten often enough. They have no moving parts to wear out or to heads to jar, both of which are an advantage though their real benefit is speed of access. Everything involves some compromise. Whatever drive we use, taking regular back-ups can avoid risks to our critical data.

The guy who fixes the computer problems that defeat me said he would boot from an SSD for speed but save all data to a conventional hard drive.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.