Jess asked in Social SciencePsychology · 12 months ago

Those who use Headspace, do you find it useful?

I have a subscription and I tried to use it for a week or teo consecutively but I just found nyself hating the narrators voices and sometimes falling asleep, especially just daydreaming. I have done simple meditations in the past, including guided ones, and they felt much more relaxing (maybe beneficial, maybe that was just a placebo).

In short, I'm frustrated with Headspace as it doesn't seem to have any actual relaxing meditations - almost everything is focused on self-improvement. Like, surely people meditate to reduce stress and be more mindful... The self-improvement homeworks just left me more stressed and randomly throughout the day I'd remember the annoying narrator voices.

Idk,anyone relate? Could we all tell Headspace about it so they actually improve their meditations

Headspace is the most popular mindfulness app although it's the most expensive. If you'd like to try another app but you don't want to shell out more money, there are good things you can get for free. A reviewer who says he has GAD says the best one he's found is Mindful Life Project, which costs nothing (Source). He likes Headspace and Calm, which have free stuff. He really likes the Calm breathing app, which brings me to the best relaxation method of all. If you're just into taking your stress level down, breathing is the way to go. My answers have info about breathing research, such as the study with war veterans at Stanford that convinced the VA to recommend breathing therapy for vets with PTSD (video).

Details about the program of psychiatrists Brown and Gerbarg, who have published 6 papers on breathing in this answer, along with other good things for stress -

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20181...

Video - Stanford researcher Emma Seppala

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvli7NBUfY4

Youtube thumbnail

Didn't work for me. I think the benefits have been exaggerated In my opinion anyway. Probably do you more good to exercise