Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 7 months ago

Why does the motor on my 2001 Ford Focus SE Wagon make a "shuddering" noise when I am in idle?

It sounds like it wants to stall but doesn't and my gas mileage is not good. The last mechanic put after market motor mounts on but it still does this. Any ideas? I love my little car with less than 65,000 miles on it and in good shape otherwise..

Favorite Answer

You probably got cheated on the motor mounts, since they have NOTHING to do with engine performance. Have the OBD2 trouble codes pulled to see what the car's computer is doing to reduce performance or what other defects there are. The engine likely just needs tuning up- a set of new sparkplugs. Trust the OBD2 codes to tell. Don't trust guessing so much.

Two options: take the others advice and keep throwing new parts at it until by dumb luck you replace what's wrong, or, have the codes read to determine what is wrong and fix that.

• J J

Clean the throttle body butterfly and the air bypass valve. Google it.