Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 6 months ago

My doctor recommends I eat 1,200-1,300 calories daily until I reach my recommended weight. What are some filling foods?

I never found salads, fruits, or veggies very filling. Preferably other ones that don’t have a lot of calories. Or if anyone knows of any supplements or something to suppress my appetite, please let me know.

• k w

your 1st and worst mistake was asking a doctor. see a nutritionist instead, they know health doctors know drugs........

One trick, honestly, is to make sure you eat some fat. Fat is something that your body latches on to to say "Yes, you have eaten food, you can probably stop now", whereas your body is more likely to keep trying to pack carbs in until your stomach is full.

Also, drink lots of water, and/or eat foods with a very high water content (like watermelon). Likewise, eat plenty of fiber. Making your stomach physically fuller is another way of telling your body "OK, you've had enough, it's time to stop."

Aim for several small meals instead of 2 or 3 large ones. You won't have sugar crashes and the like, and do stupid things like grab a candy bar, if you have planned healthy snacks (like almonds or something) throughout the day.

When you are eating a larger meal, try to eat a bit, then stop and do something else, even if you know you'll have to eat more later. It can take time for your brain to get the "I am full now" signal from your stomach, so it's good to try to give it that time. Eg eat some of your dinner, then go get started on the dishes, then eat a bit more, then go water the plants or take a walk or start a load of laundry or whatever, rinse and repeat until your body stops sending you "I need to eat more" signals.

Allow yourself occasional treats, but only in small portions. If you try to say "No, I can't have ice cream for dessert, I'm going to eat fruit instead", you may find yourself eating the fruit, and *still* ending up eating the ice cream later, whereas if you let yourself have a *small* bowl of ice cream (and then only have fruit if you're still hungry), you'll probably eat less overall.

For any grain products you eat (bread, spaghetti, whatever), make sure you get whole grain. Preferably 100% whole grain.

Try to fit in some exercise. You can eat more if you burn off some of the calories, and you'll burn more calories even when resting if you've built some muscle.

Good luck!

• Bryce

Meat, eggs, cheese, non-starchy vegetables, and whole milk products are the most nutritious, healthy, and satisfying.

• k w

not milk dot com

Foods with fiber will help you feel full. Raspberries have the most fiber relative to size.

You want to avoid carbs because they don’t fill you up.

I like to eat fiber, like psyllium husk fiber (comes in various forms to eat it) and just foods that are high in fiber, low in calories, like Fiber One snacks I like to eat. But be careful not to overdo it, you could get constipated or gassy if you overdo it! Also protein always helps fill me up, like some lunch meat, fish, lean meats, or can of tuna with some relish in it- bam, filling, tasty snack with lots of protein! also drinking at least 8 cups of water a day helps. I drink diet coke a lot too, I find it filling but others may disagree. caffeine helps suppress appetite, but again, dont overdo it cuz it can be dangerous to take too much and also if you are prone to anxiety it might worsen it. Hot tea helps to feel a bit more full. chewing sugar free gum helps when I have the munchies. also, plain popcorn, like the loose kernels you buy in a bag, and then pour a couple tablespoons in a brown paper bag, pop in the microwave and microwave till the popping slows down to 2-3 seconds in between pops. add some 0 cal butter spray (just a tiny spritz) and some seasonings and bam, low cal, filling, yummy snack!

also, some people find going low carb or keto diet helps suppress appetite quite a lot. I would ask your doctor though if you are going to start keto, as it's not necessarily healthy for everyone. but yeah, i find it helps suppress sugar and carb cravings if I just cut it all out completely and eat healthy meats and fats and veggies and fiber

• keerok

Eat meat with butter.

Read the Q wrong, drinking water regularly will trick ur stomach into thinking’s it’s full when it’s not. Also rice cakes are very light with no calories really at all.