Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 4 months ago

Approximately how much would it cost to pay contractors to convert my van into a livable space?

I have been interested in vandwelling and recently bought a van. However, I dont know anything about construction or electricity, otherwise I would do it myself. I already bought the battery and solar panels and other electric stuff. How much would it cost to pay contractors to fix it up for me? Most vandwellers seem to only no more than $5000 just for the conversion but they do it theirselves.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago

You CAN'T convert a van into livable space at ANY cost. An RV will cost SEVERAL times your stated budget.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

There is no approximate cost. It all depends on how fancy and extensive the work is, what fixtures and amenities you require and how much is charged for labor and materials. That can vary widely. A professional conversion company will cost the most but the results will usually be superior to some bloke who does it out of his garage. Personally, I'd look for a freelance cabinet maker for fixtures like a bed frame, sink / stove cabinet and storage and an RV / Travel Trailer company for carpeting, insulation and specialty through-body plumbing and wiring.

• 4 months ago

There's a huge range of these things. You might put an ad in Craigslist for someone with woodworking skills (and tools). But you should first have a pretty good idea what you want, like drawings to show exactly what you want. If the woodworker has to sit down with you and come up with a plan, he'll charge you a lot more.

If you plan to have a sink, stove, fridge, whatever, those should be part of the plan. You should do the research, pick what models you want and get all the dimensions. Or just buy them before you start!

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

I’m sure you could paint the Free Candy on urself no?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.