Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 6 months ago

What was you parents rule/your kids rule involving school??

My parents didn’t have rules when it came to school except graduation

I’m trying to make rules for my son... so far I have

...

Must at least try to join a group or sport

Grades can only be either a B or A

...

I don’t want to go overboard but I do want some expectations from him during his high school years

Favorite Answer

First, don't dictate those rules to him. Negotiate them. Actually work with him for the two of you to agree on what's fair. That way you'll more likely have him buying into and following those rules. You might also negotiate on rewards and sanctions for following or not following those rules.

Second, define (the two of you) what the graduation goal he should be striving for by following those rules. College? Trade? Military? This will help the both of you determine what needs to be accomplished to achieve the graduation goal. EX: If he wants to go to college, one or more of those groups should pertain to the curriculum he want to go to college for. If it's military, he should entertain HS ROTC as a group.

I congratulate you on taking a good interest in your son's future. My folks didn't have rules for me either, dad didn't graduate from HS. And when I went off to college I almost flunked out that first year because I had no idea how to study as I rarely studied in HS.

Good attendance, good grades. But I would say encourage him to do a language and a sport. Those things can go a long way! I wish my parents had enforced that.

"You go, and you succeed (!)"