Should I worry leaving Toyota Corolla 2000 for 6 months Idle?

I'm planning a big trip and my family members don't know how to drive.

I'm planning to leave the car in the garage for a long time .

What are the consequences of not being able to crank the engine for that long ?

What is the first thing I should watch for when I return?

Add gas stabilizer to the fuel tank, put a float charger, or small dashboard solar charger on the dash and clip it to the battery if the car will sit in the open. If rats don't set up housekeeping in the muffler or air cleaner, the car will be fine.

• Jay P

-I suggest adding fuel stabilizer to the fuel and top up the fuel tank.

-Inflate the tires to keep them from developing flat spots.

-Either remove the battery from the vehicle or get a smart trickle charger ( smart means it recognizes when the battery is full charged and shuts off, kicking back on as the battery gets below a certain level ).

-If any fluids are due to be changed soon, such as the engine oil, get it done before you leave.

-Place moth balls or some other deterrent under the vehicle to keep mice and other critters from making a nest inside the engine bay and chewing up the wiring harness.

This is what I do for my motorcycle when it goes into winter storage and it starts up fine every spring.

The battery might die so it would be a good idea to back into the garage when you park it just in case it needs to be jumped. Also when you get back check the wheel wells and the grill for any small furry friends that may have snuck into your garage and taken up residence. Oh also, leaving the engine running for a couple minutes before actually driving the car might also be a good idea. Otherwise, since the car is in a garage, I think it should be fine.