leeceve asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 5 months ago

Why is my mom so controlling?

Today my mom took all of me and my siblings phones, laptops, iPads, etc. so she could download this app or something that filters out adult content, allows my mom to see exactly what we’ve been doing and notifies my mom every time we go on a screen past 9:30 pm. She just decided to do this because she’s afraid she’s been too lenient with screen time. She’s been taking our devices at 10 pm every night, and only allows us to have a few hours a day. I hate this new system, I have nothing to hide but it still feels like an invasion of my privacy. She has never suspected us of doing things she wouldn’t approve us, my siblings and I have never abused our internet privileges. The app also notifies my mom when I’m speeding when driving which is absolutely ridiculous. I’m almost 16, I don’t need this helicopter parenting. I can’t wait to move out.

• Foofa

At 16 you're not supposed to have a lot of "privacy". But by all means, move out at 18 and work at Starbucks for life rather than using your family home as a way to get an education and make something of yourself. This is the kind of shortsighted thinking that's common in 16 year-olds. Hopefully as you get older and gain insight you'll see that some "invasion" is worth using Mom's free room and board while you get a degree.

you need to ask her this question

No dad then your mom has no control over her life so she controls you

• Janet

Until you are 18, she is legally and morally responsible for everything you do, for keeping you out of trouble, and for fixing/paying for any mistakes you make.

She has the RIGHT to control your life .. and since she bought your phones, laptops, clothing, bed, food, etc .... EVERYTHING you mistakenly think is yours ... she also has the right to take them away.

• leeceve

Actually no, I paid for my phone, laptop, bed and clothing. She provides me with basic necessities, which I'm grateful for. I pay for nearly everything else. So yeah, most of my things are mine that I paid for and she shouldn't have the right to take them away.

Is she controlling? Or is she being a responsible mother?

your perspective is understandable but try to understand hers as well. You and your siblings are young I assume and just imagine what a kid could be doing on the internet nowadays, not saying this is you or your siblings but imagine if you had a kid.

This is neither controlling nor helicopter parenting - it’s protecting your children from things they are too ignorant to know are dangerous to them.

I suggest you consider yourself lucky, there are way stricter parents than yours. My work takes me inside peoples homes and I was recently in the home of a couple who have four sons between 11 and 16. There is ONE computer in the house in a room right across front he parents room and the door to that room is NEVER allowed to be closed. Those kids can only get on line one at a time and are ALWAYS supervised for all their internet use.

Your mom is trying to protect you and help you. As a smart *** almost 16 year old you think you know everything but you have NO IDEA of all the bad stuff and bad people wating to prey on you.

Sounds like your mom loves you, and is trying to do the best for you. You do not know what inspired this, but if you fight it, you will convince her that there is something to hide.

At 15, you should not be driving, much less speeding.

If you are still upset in 2 years, please do move out.