kate asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 6 months ago

My mom won’t let me go “far away” to college?

I am an only child and I’m very close with my mom. I want to go to college 2 hours and 45 minutes away (University of MN) but she says it’s too far! She wants me to go to a college 15 minutes from home! I really want space and my own place and freedom. Since my mom is so overprotective, she is pushing me away without knowing it and I want to be farther away. I do like the school close to home but I don’t want to relive the same area I was in in high school. Every time I try to tell her it’s my life and it’s not that far away she cries! I feel bad and I don’t know what to say or do. I feel really guilty for wanting to go far away and she tries to make excuses and say bad things about schools farther away to try to convince me not to go. My dad doesn’t really care about the distance, more about the money. And I am smart enough to get pretty good scholarships and the tuition wouldn’t be that bad. I don’t know what to say! I asked her what the farther would be and she said 2 hours. But she knows the only place I’m looking at is farther and when I asked if it could be a little father she said absolutely not! She won’t even let me tour places I want. To be honest I want to go to school in Colorado but I know that will never happen because she can barely let me go 2 hours ! All my friends are touring places in other states that are really far and I feel left out because I’m middling our on going somewhere I really want or even exploring my options. WHAT DO I DO?!

• Foofa

It's only "your life" is you're 18 and paying for it yourself. So maybe you do your Freshman year closer to home then you transfer to Colorado for the next three years. Out of state tuition can be pretty steep but if you're prepared to find a way to cover that once you're an adult you can do as you please.

i would go wherever you want, she cant legally stop you

First, make sure your mother's concern is not about the student loan debt your will incur in the further college. Ask your mom if you paid your own way to the further school if she would be OK with it. If she says no, then try to find a middle ground, like living in an accommodation that is not your mom's house, but staying in your home town for the first two years. It's hard to tell if your mom's objections are rooted in control, wanting to stay close to you, or concern about your maturity living in a distant town. If you can boil that down to a basic concern, maybe you can find a middle ground that pleases both of you.

Follow your dream bro. Your mum is possibly ruining your future because of her own insecurity and neediness. This is how women operate. Be single minded. If it all turns to sh!t you can come home. Go to the wrong school and you will resent her interference for the rest of your lives