My mom won’t let me go “far away” to college?

I am an only child and I’m very close with my mom. I want to go to college 2 hours and 45 minutes away (University of MN) but she says it’s too far! She wants me to go to a college 15 minutes from home! I really want space and my own place and freedom. Since my mom is so overprotective, she is pushing me away... show more I am an only child and I’m very close with my mom. I want to go to college 2 hours and 45 minutes away (University of MN) but she says it’s too far! She wants me to go to a college 15 minutes from home! I really want space and my own place and freedom. Since my mom is so overprotective, she is pushing me away without knowing it and I want to be farther away. I do like the school close to home but I don’t want to relive the same area I was in in high school. Every time I try to tell her it’s my life and it’s not that far away she cries! I feel bad and I don’t know what to say or do. I feel really guilty for wanting to go far away and she tries to make excuses and say bad things about schools farther away to try to convince me not to go. My dad doesn’t really care about the distance, more about the money. And I am smart enough to get pretty good scholarships and the tuition wouldn’t be that bad. I don’t know what to say! I asked her what the farther would be and she said 2 hours. But she knows the only place I’m looking at is farther and when I asked if it could be a little father she said absolutely not! She won’t even let me tour places I want. To be honest I want to go to school in Colorado but I know that will never happen because she can barely let me go 2 hours ! All my friends are touring places in other states that are really far and I feel left out because I’m middling our on going somewhere I really want or even exploring my options. WHAT DO I DO?!
4 answers 4