Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsOther - Science · 6 months ago

Why do researchers like to blame government for lack of funding? I think people should find ways to become resilient?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Government funding is useful for research that has a likely benefit but may not have an immediate commercial use (thus private enterprise is unlikely to fund such research; it is unsustainable for them). Scientific information is a public good that the government supports, much like roads and police. Those who complain about inadequate funding are simply arguing that the benefit to the public good is not being maximized because of restrictions in funding.

You do not have to agree with that opinion, but I find it difficult to support the concept that scientific research is NOT a public good that deserves some financial support by the government. If you need proof of this, then I suggest you investigate how technological development of a nation's industrial sectors mirrors the amount of money that is expended by government on "science".

• Login to reply the answers
  • oikoσ
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Resilient or not, there is a limit to how much research we can do without equipment and equipment is expensive. So are research assistants and office staff. Grants don't fall into people's laps.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Because a tremendous amount of research is government-funded and private funding can be difficult to find if there is no return on the investment.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Researchers do not work for humanity alone.

Current breed of "Researchers" are told what the funder needs. It then becomes the job of the Researcher to prove the desired result.

Gone are the days when Researchers were free.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

It’s obvious that people are resilient. You just sound like another idiot.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.