Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 6 months ago

What does a therapist do?

I live on campus, and I have small issues with the people around me, I'm not in any like a direct issue, but these small things about my situation just involving friendships make me feel sad and I kinda wanna quit my course. I really don't have anyone to talk to about this because either they know the people i have issues with or i just sound whinny. Also i don't like letting people know i don't like my situation because i'm worried they'll use it against me. I feel like i should see a therapist but like my issues all involve stuff like "why is this person ignoring me" and how should i go about it. Not real issues

• falcon

They listen and always look at the clock...

Quitting your course would be an issue that could initiate therapeutic intervention. While nobody should really be denied, think of it like an ambulance; if you have a boo-boo, you're taking a space someone with a squirting arterial gunshot with 45 seconds to live could use. However, in the psych world, the equivalent of squirting atrially wounded people don't or can't seek treatment.

With issues like yours there is often a root you may not see clearly and that's what a therapist can do for you. I'm just offering a hypothetical scenario for dramatic effect, but lets say you are frustrated with the people around you because you have to take control and that brings you emotionally back to your father's suicide that you still blame yourself for. That's what they will help you see and settle with.

They talk to you and try to figure out the issue.

I think it's so sad that all you seem to care about is what other people think!

They give people mental help and speak to them and, try to help them with their problems. They give psychiatric help to people who need it.

Well he used to be the vice president and now he's running for president. Whooops. I misread your question. I though it sat THE RAPIST.