Nina asked in PetsDogs · 6 months ago

What can I do to help ease off pain on my dogs leg until the morning?

Let me straight off the bat say that I'm not so stupid that I'm not going to take her to the veterinarian.

Its 10pm, I dont have a car or really an access to one and no one will be home to take me until tomorrow morning. Regardless the nearest vet hospital is quite a way out.

Okay what happened: I let them out to use the restroom, came back in fifteen minutes and my smallest - shes a chihuahua mix - was sitting in the middle crying, with her left leg stilted up. I immediately went and picked her up, gently to avoid her leg. Brought her inside and checked her paw for any thorns or such and there wasnt any. I let her walk just in a small line so I can see where shes limping from. She'll walk on it but only for a very short amount of time. She obviously does her best to not put too much pressure. Felt around, careful not putting too much pressure on anything & none of her bones seem out of place and she can still bend her entire leg + paw. But of course I'm not a vet.

So my first thought was I can put it in a splint, i at least know how to do that, but of course I dont know if that would possibly make things worse.

SO MY QUESTION IS: Should I splint it or at the very least wrap it. Wrap and ice it or would just letting her lay down be the simplest way to go.

I just can kindly ask that only serious answers please. I'm not asking for a diagnosis, just a way to make her feel better until I CAN get her to an actual professional.

Favorite Answer

You should keep her away from the other dog and near to you. that will be reassuring to her and you can keep her from trying to walk around. I had a terrier that had a very similar issue and she recuperated in about a week. I wouldn't try to splint it as this will probably agitate a chihuahua more than anything

• Nina6 months agoReport

Thank you for being so kind about it! I've been having her with me in bed for the time being and she's been sleeping peacefully. I havent tried to mess with it all, just been letting her rest it. Again, thank you!

You can use buffered aspirin, or paracetamol. But don't splint the leg. Crate or other complete rest until your vet opens next.

Don't try to split it. If the dog is in pain (and she is or she would be walking fine) or if the kneecap is dislocated or any bone or if a toe is broken or the ACL is torn -this WILL hurt, and/or may due major damage. You can try to ice it with a bag of frozen peas.

Keep the dog SEPARATED from all other dogs or pets for the rest of the night and NO JUMPING off or on ANY furniture!!!!!!! If crate trained = CRATE her, and keep her as still as possible.

I do not understand WHY..... you cannot call a friend, relative or get an UBER or LYFT to GO to an emergency vet hospital for treatment tonight. You do need a credit card, for treatment. GOD help you, if you needed something.

DO NOT, under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES give the dog ANY human PAIN MEDICATION (other than: buffered aspirin or a baby aspirin) once every 8 hours. No Aleve, no Tylenol, no NASIDS - virtually ALL ARE TOXIC, if not FATAL....... to dogs.

GOOGLE the medication name + side effects in dogs beforehand, if there is any doubt in your mind.

There's NOTHING you should be doing. You don't want to split it when it could be dislocated or broken so doing that could make things WORSE. I also find it shocking you think someone can magically diagnose your dog online. Seriously?

SO many excuses not to get this dog the care it needs. Have a friend drive you to a no-kill shelter tomorrow and surrender ALL your pets. If you don't drive I bet you also don't have a job, do you? Just how many freaking dogs do you have?

• Nina6 months agoReport

As well, giving her up because she may have possibly hurt her foot? That's terrible! I would never want to abandon her especially not at a time like this :(
      I truly hope you are joking about this all, otherwise you're being rude for no real reason.

I would let the dog rest until the morning and ice the leg if the dog will allow it! Ice reduces swelling which can ease some of the pain. Good luck!!

• Nina6 months agoReport

Also I dont know if this matter but i'm sorry for not seeing you answer earlier or I would have given best answer to you ha, but again thank you very much, especially for being kind about it)

• *****

I would not attempt to splint it. I would just keep her fairly quiet.

Try putting garlic in its food. Studies have shown repeatedly that garlic enhances muscles, eyesight and fur.