Hey guys, my car keeps dying any ideas why?

I drove my car home after work at 530 and it was working great no lights on the dashboard. Went out at 730 and it wouldn't even turn over, called AAA and they got me a new battery. Went to start it up and the revs keep dropping to 0.5 and it shuts down. Any ideas?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Erik
    Lv 7
    12 months ago

If you're lucky, it's something simple like the alternator. But usually the battery light will come on, if that is the case. Take it to a mechanic that specialized in electrical work.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    12 months ago

Dear TotallyOblivious

1] FYI a 0.5 reading on the tachometer = 500 rpm

2] Not enough information. Is it starting easily / normally with the new battery? After starting, how long before it stalls? Does it run roughly or make any unusual noises? Can you rev the engine at all before it stalls? Are there any caution lights on while it is running? Answering all of these questions would help us determine the possible causes. Even knowing what kind of car would be better than the useless information you have provided.

FAIL. Try again or post an update.

• Erik
      Lv 7
      12 months agoReport

Geez, what a dick. If the guy was an expert he wouldn't be on here asking.

• 12 months ago

Pay more attention to the idiot light on the dash that says "batt" or "charge". If it's a Ford, check the charging system fuse. They will blow out and the battery will go flat after driving a few minutes. They sell a lot of alternators and Motorcraft batteries instead of a $1 fuse you need so charge can get from the good alternator you have to the battery.

• 12 months ago

I know nothing about cars but mine kept dying and i got a new battery and it continued to die. Turned out when my car was off, the wiring in the radio messed up and power was sent to the radio without turning it on all the way so it was undetectable to me. So I guess what I'm saying is it could be anything because I imagine the same issue could happen with any part of the car that receives power.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    12 months ago

It sounds like a bad connection from the battery to the engine. There is some kind of a resistor around the ignition switch to keep the car running after it starts. When yours starts it does not do this.

In your exact situation I think I would let it run at speed long enough to bring the charge up before disconnecting the new battery. Maybe th4y gave you a dead one?

• Wait so could it be that the battery was installed in-properly?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.