Need help upgrading PC?

So I have this PC (HP Compaq 2600 Pro), it comes with a 2nd Gen I5 3.1 Ghz 4 Cores 4 Threads, Hewlette Packard 1497 motherboard, (I upgraded to 16 GB DDR3L RAM so I m not interested in upgrading that). I want to upgrade my motherboard and PC but keep my RAM the same. What would be the best? Thanks!

Update: Just letting everyone know I already have an SSD and a GTX 1050Ti, and when opening task manager the only thing at 100% is my RAM (which I am replacing soon) and my CPU.

• Fulano

So, your RAM shouldn't be at 100% with 16 GB of RAM unless you're running some very memory intensive programs like video editing.

If you're not running a program that eats up all the RAM, then I suspect something's got a memory leak. Basically the program isn't releasing used memory back to the system and keeps eating more and more until something crashes. Look at the list of running programs in Task Manager and see what is using up all the RAM. Also check if the system is actually detecting your 16 GB of RAM properly. Something might not be set right in the BIOS, or if you're running a 32 bit Windows it won't be able to use more than 4 GB of RAM.

If you are running a program that needs 16 GB of RAM, your only options are to get a scratch disk (basically an SSD dedicated to virtual memory) or get a new motherboard and CPU that can support more RAM.

Extra RAM doesn't speed a computer up, but not having enough RAM makes things slow down a ton.

• Lv 7

Compaqs are not worth keeping. bottom of the barrel.

also, that RAM is very low power. not very fast, even compared to non-"L" RAM.

burn it all, and buy something decent.

Step 1. would be to ask yourself "what is it that this computer can't do, that I think it should or want it to do?"

Step 2. what parts are preventing the answer to step one.

One of the biggest ways improve the performance of a PC is to change over to an SSD.

Forget playing around with the motherboard you have plenty of RAM and your processor is just fine at 3.1 gigahertz if you want to make this computer quite a bit better get yourself a decent graphics board because the graphics on this computer only rates of 5 on the Windows experience index the rest of the computer rates solid 8.9 so this is what you need to get a solid state hard drive because the hard drive that's in that thing only rates of 5.1 again slowing the rest of it down. So get yourself a decent graphics board and a good solid state hard drive and you should be able to raise the performance of that unit from the pathetic 5.1 that it currently rates and I know because I have one at my house right now. All the way up to a good solid 8.5 which is blistering fast and powerful. Total price for that in parts shouldn't cost you more than $150 a 2 gig graphics card should be all that you need along with the SSD.

Don't try to upgrade a Compaq. Buy a whole new PC.