Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 6 months ago

If people use a writing prompt they find on the internet, can their book they wrote based off of it be published?

If so, how would you be going about to dedicating it to the website (if you found a specific one) or the internet (because it doesn't include it)?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

I think ideas are free, they are like tiny "bubbles", and the point is how you flesh them out. It is very noble of you to think of the author of the prompt, and of course there's some creativity there that should be acknowledged, but one same prompt can be developed by two people and turned into completely different books (and one can make a masterpiece and the other a bad work).

What I would do is writing a small "acknowledgements" page at the beginning or the end of the book, including among others, in your own words, a mention to the Internet resource (if it feels right you can also include the URL, to benefit them in return). I think it's a demonstration of gratitude and also good etiquette (no one writes out of a void, you always take stuff from different places), but I don't think you're in debt to the prompts' author in any way.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Cogito
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

The fact that you base a book on a prompt doesn't mean that it can't be published, and there's no need to mention it at all, to anyone.

But, more importantly, you need to work on your English before even starting work on a full novel.

There are many basic mistakes in your question, and all writers need to have excellent English skills. - they are the tools you need to do the job.

If it's 'their' book, you don't need to add 'they wrote' - that's repetition.

One writes 'based on' something - not 'off of it'.

It should be 'how would you go about dedicating ...' - not 'be going about to dedicating ...'

And that last sentence, with the brackets, makes no sense at all.

Do you see what I mean? Work on your language skills first. Walk before you try to run!

It takes years of practice before anyone can expect something they've written to be published.

Good luck!

• Andrew
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Writing prompts provide a very general outline for a piece of writing. The entire point behind them is that if 100 people used the same writing prompt as a springboard for a story, there would still be 100 different stories if each writer managed to complete one. Ideas cannot be copyrighted - only the execution of an idea is protected.

But writing prompts are popular with 2 kinds of people: people who are looking for an opportunity to increase their writing skills by trying their hand at something specific, but that affords them the freedom to be creative as well - the premise is clear, but the end result is open...

The other type of person who might find writing prompts to be useful would be someone who isn't very well read, and therefore doesn't have experience to work with when calling on ideas. People who are always reading have more ideas than they know what to do with. It's people who don't read, or don't read enough, that are forced to settle for writing pieces based on some random writing prompt that's been made available on the internet.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

nnaybe you should get off the computer and get busy and use a writing prompt they find on the internet

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.