Is it true that tattoos don't age well?

I have heard before that the ink fades over long periods of time. And I have met people in their 70's and 80's who got tattoos when they were young. And those tattoos weren't pretty.

• LM440
    Favorite Answer

I have very good looking 25 year old tattoos that have never been touched up. I have a few tattoos that have touched up but only to restore a high level of vibrant color. I don't spend excessive time in the sun and I always use sunblock when I am exposed to the sun long term.

Regarding seniors with poor quality tattoos there are numerous reasons. They may not have used sun protection or allowed proper healing. The technology for inks and tattoo equipment has developed and allow for better application and long term clarity. Also, skill levels are now very strong in the tattoo field. It a professional occupation now with education, training and apprenticeship terms.

It's just not a fair comparison to place today's tattoos in the same league of the average tattoo of 50 plus years ago. Todays tattoos are a high tech, skilled art form.

Depends on how you look after them but as your body wrinkles your tattoos will obviously wrinkle as well. Common sense.

I understand that is true.

Yes............