Was I wrong to check out the large print edition?

I placed a hold on the book the Tattooist of Auschwitz at the library. There were no available copies in any format, so when I reserved my copy, I checked first available format. That could have been an EPUB edition, audio book, regular copy or large print edition.

The first copy that became available was the large print edition. So I checked it out.

My older brother said that since the large print is for the visually impaired that I should have not checked it out.

I pointed out that people with bad eyesight could check out EPUB and audio books too.

He said it didn't matter large print is for the visually impaired only

Is he right?

Favorite Answer

No, he's not right. Large print books are there for people with poor eyesight to have the opportunity to read something easily, but that doesn't mean other people can't read them too. Obviously it would be thoughtful of you to read the book quickly and take it back, in case a person with poor eyesight is waiting for it.

Similarly with toilets for the disabled. They are there so that disabled people can pee, as they can't use the ordinary toilets. If a disabled toilet is free, and no disabled person is visible, anyone may use it.

Again, it would be courteous to take no longer than necessary just in case a disabled person turns up. But there is no law saying a disabled person must never have to wait for a toilet, just as there is no law saying a person with poor sight must never have to wait for a book to be returned.

Everyone occasionally has to wait for something, and disabled people are not generally exempted from that normal rule of human life. .

• j153e

If your brother is younger than you are, perhaps he's jealous; if he's older, perhaps he's charitably keeping you in line with what he deems proper. Ask the librarian when next you visit, to learn how they explain their first come, first served policy. If your brother is genuinely caring about the needs of the challenged, he is quite ethical and to be commended. If he's simply imposing to be imposing, well, family issue.

Have you read "When Hitler Stole Pink Bunny", "Long Journey Home: A Young Girl's Memoir of Surviving the Holocaust," "The Strange Ways of Providence in My Life," "From the Ashes: Cases of Reincarnation from the Holocaust," and "Man's Search for Meaning"?

i dont see anything wrong with doing that