Can I learn singing without also learning an instrument?

I like the idea of singing a capella and in choruses but don't have the time to add an instrument in. Also, I'm not religious and that would mean having to arrange a lot of pieces due to lack of non-religious chorus and a capella music for sale, right? If so, an instrument would be required as I'd need to study a lot of music theory.

• Tony B

Singing has nothing to do with playing an instrument. Maybe lots of singers play an instrument but so do lots of carpenters and lots of nurses.

You mention arranging music, that has nothing to do with singing either.

If you want to sing seriously, maybe in in choirs and learn to sing “properly” then you'd need to learn to read music, develop relative pitch and be willing to sing whatever you were asked to, religious or not.

Studying vocal and instrumental music is two different disciplines. Being religious has nothing to do with studying music.

• Kaz

Of course you can. Singing has nothing to do with the ability to play an instrument, and being religious is not a requirement - anyone with a voice can sing.

They are many sources for a capella vocal music. J W Pepper has tons. They are specualty publishers. And free downloads! Vocal music majors in decent colleges are often required to study piano for 2 years, to at least have some basic skills. And you need theory knowledge to write arrangements! I was a school choral directions for 30 years, wrote a lot using top digital software - and have extra undergrad and grad degrees in Theory! Good luck - learn as much as you can!

i dont see why not

I know two people with degrees in music. Both of them were voice majors. No instruments necessary. Singing is it's own instrument.

If you want to do arrangements, it might not be a bad idea to have some piano/keyboard skills, and to know a bit about music theory.