Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 6 months ago

car accident-who is right?

I hit a parked car and admitted fault. My insurance wouldn't pay for it so i agreed to cover the damages. The woman I hit wants me to hand the money to her in cash but I said I preferred to meet her at the repair shop and the the shop in person. She wants me to give her the money through a third party. I don't agree with that because I'd like to know where my money is going. She insists on me just handing it to her but I don't want it to bite me in the face later. Am I right or should I just give her the money?

lol if you probably do not have the money if you are worried about all these things/can't give it to her. I will just bring you to court and win and they will garnish your wages until the billed is paid.

FIRST she can use to funds to go on a vacation if she wants to, you just make sure the estimates are accurate and pay her when she signs as others have stated.

THIS is what you get when you DRIVE WITH NO INSURANCE AS YOU DID, yeah we know because this is the thing you pay your insurance premiums to take care of for you.

PS payment in full on a check means absolutely NOTHING! Otherwise you could just write a check to the mortgage company write that on the check and the house would be yours, right?

Nope. You tell her you'll pay the repair shop directly when you see the bill for what was done. If she doesn't like it, she can go jump off a cliff.

You are right, she is trying to rip you off.

Legally, you are liable for the cost of restoring her vehicle to pre-collision condition.

However, she IS NOT required to use the money to actually repair the car. She could get legitimate estimates, sue you for the amount of the estimates, collect from you, and take the money to the casino.

It doesn't matter to you and you appear to simply want to be difficult because you don't like coughing up the money for the repairs. You are welcome to ask for three estimates and pay the smallest amount. You should also look for a "boiler plate" simple agreement that she agrees that the amount you are paying her covers 100% of all damages associated with the accident. You can demand she sign that to receive the check but you have no say in what she does with that money (she is not obligated to use it to repair her car).

• Nuff Sed

Yes, get her to sign a "settlement and release of further liability" before you give her any money. After that, she can spend it on whatever she wants.

No, I recommend that you send her a money order or cashier's check to her mailing address, perhaps even via certified mail where she has to sign for it.. And put the words payment in full on the check. Don't let her bully you otherwise.

• Nuff Sed

Writing things on the check doesn't modify the negotiability of the check and is not evidence of any external contract.

You are wrong. You have no legal interest in what she does with the money. If she pockets stand never fixes the car, you still owe for the damage that you caused.

i would give the rnoney to whoever is fixing her car and not her

• shirtshertshurt

It is entirely possible that if she does not want the car fixed, it might be cheaper to come to an agreement to give her cash. The bill for repair might be higher than the amount you could settle with her for.

I would want at least 3 estimates first, being liable for the damage is one thing, throwing money around isnt, i would also request you write out some sort of agreement, one stating once the repairs are paid for your involvment ends, and i would pay the garage not him/her

• STEVEN F

That IS NOT a legal option.

Maybe she don't want the car fixed. Her option, but her is devalued by the amount of the repair at this point. If its a fair amount, why not? And get her to sign something say its given for full satisfaction for any damages.

• Nuff Sed

This is true. As long as you agree to the amount, in view of the damage, getting a signed waiver should be all you need in exchange for the cash payment.