Lena asked in PetsFish · 5 months ago

Why is my healthy goldfish floating at the top of the tank?

I have a black moor goldfish and some times he just floats at the top of the tank (not floating on his belly) almost as if he was playing dead. He does this for a while and then comes back to his senses, it's almost as if he was zoning out. He was floating and I came over and he was kind of like "oh hey"

The tank is 29 gallons and well oxygenated, and the other fish are fine so it isnt a problem with water quality.

Swim bladder infection.

• No

Ok, but he does seem to have a buoyancy problem. Which, is inevitably a swim bladder issue. An infection can be slight or serious. He may not appear sick in any other way. It should be treated as a swim bladder infection. He can live for years with it.

rnaybe he likes it up there

Goldfish do that when they've eaten too much. You should give it upto 15 hours. A lot of people throw away goldfish way too early.

• Lena5 months agoReport

I feed my goldfish 2-3 times daily because that's how much you're supposed to feed them, so I didnt think that was the problem. He is almost 4 inches including the tail and is quite larger than the other fish, and he is the only one that does that so I'm not sure what's wrong.