How to confront an old friend who doesn't want to attend me and my friends birthday party because "it isn't cool enough for him"?

Me and Mike have birthdays right next to each other every year, so we celebrate them together and plan something fun. One of our mutual friends (his name is also Michael) doesn't want to show up at our birthday festivities because it's not "the place to be" on Saturday nights. The place we booked for the party is only 5 minutes away from Michaels house, so its not like its too far for him to drive. I've been friends with Michael for over 10 years now, so this was kinda hurtful.

Should I call him out on being sh*tty or should I just never invite him to hang out with us more often?

• Foofa

You don't have to "call him out", he knows this is a jerk move and he did it on purpose to let you know he's not keen on being your friend anymore. This question is like asking if you should break up with someone who just broke up with you.

No, don't make a big deal out of this, say NOTHING, unless asked first. Your old friend apparently has moved on to greener pastures , and that's okay, it happens. Happy birthday anyway.

Why can't you accept him at face value? Did you ever hear of that? I see no problem with inviting him to future parties. If he wants to attend, he will. If not, he will bow out.

I really don't see what all the drama is about.

• justjeans7776 months agoReport

And for gosh-sake, he calls and texts me at random times for weird advice and I go hang out with him even though I don't want to sometimes. We have known each other for 10 years and we are friends, not acquaintances! I told him that wasn't too nice to say to an old friend for their birthday party!

• angie

Call him out, there is another problem.