Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 6 months ago

Women how do you feel about it that men always love to degrade you like sex objects or damsel in distress in porn, music video’s and movies?

• Foofa

As if women don't watch porn and as if female rappers don't also do a fine job of denigrating women.

• Fusion

I'm pretty sure that those degradation fantasies are far more common among women than they are among men.

Watch your "always". Plenty of men like watching Tough Chicks, or Captain Marvel wouldn't have done nearly as well as it did.

It bothers me a bit as a general cultural trend, and I tend to mentally cheer a bit when the trope is turned on its head (eg when the "damsel" rescues herself, or those mock ads that show dudes draped over cars and the like as ornaments, or, like in the Ghostbusters remake, when the "damsel" is a dude). But I do not inherently object to it *being* a trope, just to it being the *only* way women are presented most of the time. If it was closer to 50/50--if it was about as likely to be a woman rescuing or avenging her lover, brother, father, or son as a man rescuing or avenging his lover, sister, mother, or daughter; if around half of the "Buy our product because we have a sexy person shilling for it" ads were hot dudes instead of hot chicks; if female vocalists had music videos with boytoys fawning on them as often as male vocalists had music videos with babes fawning on them; and so on--then I'd have no real problem with it. Or, at least, any problem I have would be about our culture in general, or about some matter of race, body image, or the like, rather than it being a gender thing.

On a personal level? Well...that's personal <g>

• ChemFlunky

I am... not an influencer, but I've done my little part. Went to see Wonder Woman in the theater, went to see Captain Marvel in the theater, recommended them to others...