Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsReptiles · 6 months ago

Do you need a license to own snakes in IL?

I'm assuming not, but just checking (I'm talking about non-venomous snakes, by the way).

• Jade

It all depends on your county. Some counties you are fine to have any size non-venomous snake without a permit but some counties don't allow any snakes without a permit. You'll just have to google "Illinois snake permit requirements" and it should give you a list by county.

Anything less than 9 foot as adult is open season in the US.

That makes carpet pythons about the largest with no permit needed.

Some couple states have no provisions, a few ban rock p6thons or green Anaconda.

I don’t think you can keep venomous there but I believe other exotics are fine. Call your fish and game commission and ask them to be sure

• *****

Illinois has some pretty specific laws regarding reptiles, and they vary by species. You can review them here: https://www.animallaw.info/statute/il-dangerous-an... Specific cities or counties may place additional restrictions over and above the state law.

i'm assuming you have local pet shops and reptile shops in the area, correct? whatever snakes they have for sale, you can own.

you only need a license if you're planning on husbandry (breeding a lot for your own personal hobby) or breeding for profit (which is a commercial license with the intent on selling).

they don't care about people who have 2-3 or so as pets. they only care when you own a lot, as many people don't care of them properly and will release them into the wild. i have 3 snakes myself. if i was planning to breed them or something, i would need a license. if you're just planning on having one or two as pets, not necessary.