Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsReptiles · 6 months ago

Do you need a license to own snakes in IL?

I'm assuming not, but just checking (I'm talking about non-venomous snakes, by the way).

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Jade
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

It all depends on your county. Some counties you are fine to have any size non-venomous snake without a permit but some counties don't allow any snakes without a permit. You'll just have to google "Illinois snake permit requirements" and it should give you a list by county.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

Anything less than 9 foot as adult is open season in the US.

That makes carpet pythons about the largest with no permit needed.

Some couple states have no provisions, a few ban rock p6thons or green Anaconda.

• 6 months ago

I don’t think you can keep venomous there but I believe other exotics are fine. Call your fish and game commission and ask them to be sure

Lv 7
    6 months ago

Illinois has some pretty specific laws regarding reptiles, and they vary by species. You can review them here: https://www.animallaw.info/statute/il-dangerous-an... Specific cities or counties may place additional restrictions over and above the state law.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

i'm assuming you have local pet shops and reptile shops in the area, correct? whatever snakes they have for sale, you can own.

you only need a license if you're planning on husbandry (breeding a lot for your own personal hobby) or breeding for profit (which is a commercial license with the intent on selling).

they don't care about people who have 2-3 or so as pets. they only care when you own a lot, as many people don't care of them properly and will release them into the wild. i have 3 snakes myself. if i was planning to breed them or something, i would need a license. if you're just planning on having one or two as pets, not necessary.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.