I was born/raised in the U.S., am I an immigrant because of the American Indians were here first?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Nope you’re legally a US citizen

• DJC
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

There's a couple things wrong with this question. One, they're not Indians; they're ancestral natives and ancestral native descendants. Indians are people who live in India. Two, if you were born in America and you currently live in America, then you're not an immigrant. Your ancestors might have been immigrants, but you're not. "Immigrate" and "emigrate" or forms of the word "migrate," which basically means "to move." "Immigrate" means to "move to," and "emigrate" means to "move from." If you were born here and you live here now, then that means you never moved, so you're not a migrant, so you're not an immigrant.

And another thing: don't let people hyphenate your citizenship or anyone else's for that matter, who isn't actually an immigrant. A black person who was born here is not an African-American. (S)he is an American. An African-American is someone born in Africa who migrated to America.

A person of Latin heritage who was born here is not a Latin-American, or a Mexican-American, or a Cuban-American, etc., or a Latinx. (S)he is an American.

A person of Asian heritage who was born here is not an Asian-American. (S)he is an American.

I hope this clears things up.

• DJC
      Lv 5
      5 months agoReport

Hyphenated citizenship is divisive and, quite frankly, a bit racist. To me, hyphenating a natural-born citizen is questioning or even delegitimizing their status as a full and true American. If you live in America, you're an American, period. I'm glad you also don't stand for hyphenation.

• 5 months ago

YOU ARE FROM WHERE YOU WERE BORN..

• 5 months ago

YOU were born here.. IF you were born here your not a immigrant. IF you came from another country then you are if YOU were born in the other country.. BUT you as a troll already knew that.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

You are not an immigrant. Your nationality has nothing to do with your ethnic heritage. A person with native american ancestry, who is born in Germany, is a German. That's how it works.

Everyone comes from an immigrant at some point in their lineage. That does not make them an immigrant themselves. Native americans themselves probably originally immigrated to north america.

• y
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Natives Americans were conquered, big difference then what is going on today. Unless of course one wishes to acknowledge the silent invasion that has begun.

• 5 months ago

They were not here first. They were here before us.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Only if Native Americans are also immigrants because they originally came from somewhere else too. In fact, pretty much all humans originated somewhere other than where their descendants now live. So this kind of depends on how pedantic you wish to get.

• ?
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

Technically, you're a Caucasian American variant flagship model primate with the "Mostly Compatible with Yahoo Answers" feature.

• 5 months ago

You are an anchor baby.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.