How to claim a website that isn’t owned?

Looking to start a business and that starts off with a website. When I search what I want my website to be called nothing shows up, it’s blank. Does this mean it’s available? Do I have to buy the name from someplace?

Go to the GoDaddy site and type in the domain name you want to buy.

If it does not say it is owned by someone you mat be able to get it for less than $20.00

If it is owned by someone you will have to buy it from them for what they want you to pay. It could be anywhere from $5.00 to $50,000,000.00.

If it is available ...buy it immediately. The more you search the name ...the more likely someone will buy it before you.

Not seeing it with a search engine means nothing. It might be available and it might not.

You need to search on a website that does "domain name" registrations, such as godaddy, register.com, whois, etc. If it is not registered, then you can register it yourself and pay the fees. If it is registered by someone else, even if they aren't using it, you have to buy it from them.

If nobody has registered the name, you can register the domain using a host, that part is pretty simple.

If someone else owns it, then you would need to buy it.

Is it just that a website isn't coming up, or are you actually checking to see if the domain is available?

• Matt6 months agoReport

I typed into the url what I wanted it to be and nothing loads. Which made me believe it’s available if nothing shows.

You're looking to start a business off with a website, and you literally don't know the first thing about what you're doing? Strike one

You're asking a bunch of clueless anonymous Yahoos on an internet message board how to complete Step One of your business formation? Strike two.

There are lots of people with lots of knowledge starting businesses out there, and only half of them will still be in business in a year. What makes you think you can go in with zero knowledge of your own business and be successful when people who actually know what they're doing are likely to fail?

• Matt6 months agoReport

Like you said, People who actually know what they’re doing are likely to fail and that’s because they all do it the same way, like you want me to lol.

• John

Or there are many others:

https://www.domain.com/domains/