Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelEurope (Continental)Other - Europe · 6 months ago

Which of these itineraries would be more affordable?

1) Ukraine: Odessa, Kiev

2) Russia: Moscow, St Petersburg

In terms of general costs of accommodation, transportation, food and drinks, museums and other paid attractions

I'm grouping two cities from both countries since I'd like to at least see the two cities listed for whichever country I choose

My time of travel would be July or August (next year)

I live in the USA, but I'll be visiting Istanbul, and the flights would be from and back to Istanbul.

• martin
    Favorite Answer

Just about always, vacationing in big cities like Moscow, and St. Petersburg, is going to be more expensive than smaller cities like Odessa, Kiev. So most likely the smaller cities would be your choice to economize.

• hihi!

Moscow and SPB do not HAVE to be expensive. We vacation in Russia every winter in a small, provincial city. We get bread for 22-24 rubles, Moscow has the same for maybe 2 rubles more. Quality (no fillers) sausage is 300-350 a kg, and Moscow 400-430. We have found hotels for 2500-3000 rubles. Eating in a canteen СТОЛОВАЯ "stolovaya" is affordable AND TASTY! https://www.rbth.com/russian-kitchen/328445-cheap-...

Kiev and Odessa may be cheaper, but considering the fascist atmosphere in Ukraine, it may be a bit dangerous IF another uprising akin to 2014 happens. We had visited Ukraine in 2010, and never saw it coming.