I have a maple tree in my back yard that is starting to get taller then my house. Can it be trimmed shorter?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago

Buy a ladder, climb up the ladder and trim the tree.

• In
    Lv 6
    4 months ago

Maples are generally short-lived trees* with invasive roots that should not be planted anywhere near your house. If you get no shade from it consider having it removed.

*Sugar Maple and Silver Maple.

• 4 months ago

It can be done, but be advised that it will grow back in a short while. The tree's genetics will ultimately win the pruning battle unless you regularly have it cut back. If you don't want that tall of a tree it may be best to remove it now before it gets too large and replace it with a smaller growing tree.It is not in the best interest of the tree's health for it to be regularly topped as this not only weakens the tree, but the pruning cuts leave the tree susceptible disease. The resulting new growth often grows back very vigorously in a crowded manner which creates weak branches leading to future breakage.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

The house? Use a bulldozer.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

Yes. A qualified tree surgeon will advise and do the job. Get three estimates.

• Carson
    Lv 6
    4 months ago

It needs to be do be done correctly. Some trees do not like being drastically 'topped'. It can deform new growth or kill them.

Hire a license bonded professional. Not some joker in front of Home Depot.

If the tree is not hanging over your roof, or fouling electric/phone lines there is nothing wrong with a tree being taller than your house.

• 4 months ago

Yes, much easier than trimming it longer.

• 4 months ago

Yes just watch out for power lines.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Of course. Just don't climb a tree that has grown through power lines.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

It's a tree........ is it made out of diamond or something??? Why would you NOT be able to trim it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.