Air conditioning: My wife and are are having a disagreement about it. Will you help settle it (please real whole question)?

We turn off the AC when we go to work. When we get back the apartment is very hot. My wife turns down the AC to as low as it will go because she thinks doing so will cool the place off faster. I know it won't. The last time she did this she forgot and I woke up in the middle of the night, freezing. She forgot... show more We turn off the AC when we go to work. When we get back the apartment is very hot. My wife turns down the AC to as low as it will go because she thinks doing so will cool the place off faster. I know it won't. The last time she did this she forgot and I woke up in the middle of the night, freezing. She forgot to reset it to 70 and it was 52 degrees. She refuses to believe me that turning it all the way down will not cool the place off faster.
Update: Thanks for all the great answers. I'm installing a thermostat with automatic settings that will turn it up and down at the right time and leaving the present one in place but disconnected and I'm not telling her.