How can I get into musical theatre with no experience?

Hello. I am a high school senior this year and i have a passion for musical theatre. Everytime I go to a musical its the most joy I have ever felt and all I can dream of is being up on stage. Ive always wanted to dance and sing, but my family doesnt have much money. I will be the first of my immediate family to graduate high school. I got to play soccer until I turned 10, but my mom stopped signing me up. Point being, everyone in my town has parents that pay for their voice lessons and theatre memberships, but I cannot do that. I work two jobs to make barely any money and that also limits my free time. My only experience is dancing to zumba and Just Dance for the Wii, and I am in high school advanced choir. I am wondering if I can attend musical theatre college courses or if everything requires experience. I want to know if I can audition for musicals without any experience or if that varies by theatre.. I am just too nervous to reach out

Any advice is welcome and wanted

• Cogito
    Favorite Answer

You really DO need training and experience.

All places at all good drama schools and colleges (including MT courses) are extremely popular. They may get thousands of applications for only 20 to 50 places. They're always awarded through an audition process.

So if you have neither, you're not going to do well against teens who have been taking professional classes for up to 12 years. And apart from that, they aren't going to be impressed if you haven't been performing regularly with a youth or community theatre for many years.

And all professional theatres cast through agents - and agents are never interested in beginners with no training or experience.

The business is incredibly competitive. You really need to be realistic. But if you can find the time, join a good community theatre which includes musicals. Millions of people do that, and you'd probably get far more out of it than you would as a professional.

Good luck!

How did Donald Trump get into the White House with no experience???

If you wanna do theatre, then sign up for a local community theatre company.

There may be a community theater center near you that holds open auditions. Check them out.

Check your local community college, they are bound to have a theater department. Attend as a student for training, and try out for student productions.

You don't seem to be currently hungry enough for this. It doesn't even boil down to whether you have 'training' or not in the final analysis. It's mostly talent with a huge dollop of luck on top and a fierce determination to put yourself where you want to be.

Where are the talent contests in your life? Have you sung anywhere in public, even busking or for no reward at all?

You have to be willing to put yourself out there in a very minor way and then hope that, if you are head and shoulders above the rest, someone will 'spot' you and make you famous.

There is absolutely nothing as competitive as the entertainment industry. Consider getting some bookings at local pubs, clubs, anywhere you can. You'll soon find out that way if you have any talent at all.

But turning up for a professional part and expecting to be auditioned, never mind successfully is really only a bit of a pipe dream.

get into some backstage job like set design or lighting and let your light shine .....................