Is it considered rude to very light beep your horn if the lights green and the car in front of you is distracted?

21 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

No it’s not rude

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

It is rude and not recommended the horn is a warning instrument not for random use

• Patricia
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

It's not random, a quick beep is for them to hurry up.

• Ann
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Wait a few seconds before doing anything. There might be a reason you don't know about, such as a disabled pedestrian being slow about getting across the street. If it's more than a few seconds, then tap your horn, once, lightly. A long, obnoxious BEEEP, the second the light changes, is liable to get a person shot here in Dallas. Road rage is very common here. One of my pet peeves is when I've turned on my blinker to make a right turn (almost a block before the actual turn) to let the person behind me know I'm going to turn, and then when I slow down to turn, the driver behind gets right on my bumper and lays on the horn until after I've completed the turn.

• John P
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

It is rude in the first few seconds after the lights have gone green, but if it becomes obvious that the driver is not paying attention, then a short beep is needed.

• GEEGEE
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Not if a few second pass and the path is actually clear. A car honked at me recently when I didn't make a right turn immediately when the light turned green. An elderly lady was crossing the street and the honker didn't see her. Or thought I should run her over? IDK but it was an aggressive honk and annoying.

• ...Show all comments
    • GEEGEE
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

I know! Haven't been a pedestrian for a while but people would race around corners to beat walkers to the punch. Very aggressive. Like waiting a short time will really kill them, lol. Scaring old ladies is not my thing.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

Not at all. They should pay attention.

• 6 months ago

A light beep, AFTER a pause of a few seconds, is fine.

• 6 months ago

Not if you wait a few seconds before beeping. If you do it the second the light changes, you're being a jerk; some cars need a couple of seconds to get moving.

• susan
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

I take a second to look before entering the intersection when the light turns green. Because once when I didn't look, a driver ran a red light at high speed and T-boned my car. I wasn't hurt but my favorite car I ever owned was totalled that day.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

i dont think so

• 6 months ago

A friendly reminder is welcome as it gives the person maximum screen time to accomplish whatever task is so important,

Be certain he or she is not waiting for an emergency vehicle first before you toot.

• 6 months ago

A "light" beep? No.

A "angry New Yorker" LONNNNG honk? Yes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.