Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 5 months ago

Could I use this trick to get in and out of the DMV much quicker?

At my local DMV the wait time averages about 2 hours.

When your number is up an automated voice announces it and it flashes on a TV screen.

Such as: "Now serving G127 at window number 9."

But the clerk has never actually asked to see my ticket when I get to the window. They just take my word for it.

There are a lot of no shows. People sometimes get fed up with waiting and leave. Sometimes they are in the bathroom, outside smoking or just not paying attention.

When that happens the automated voice calls the number 2 more times over the course of about 5 minutes then kicks the number out of the system.

Suppose I wait for the first no show, and if on the third and final call no one goes up, I go up and claim the spot.

Lol could that work to get me in and out in about 15 minutes?

• Neil

It could work. But you would have to wait for the right kind of no-show. And sometimes they do ask.

You just blew any time you saved by posting this.

• Foofa

Ha to the ha. Show up at any DMV in my region without an appointment and you'll be waiting more like six hours. It's much easier to just make an appointment. In SoCal you'll still be in line for an hour but at least you won't have to go back day after day hoping to get to the front of the line.

Why are you in the DMV office so often? Renew your license plate by mail or online. I haven't been in the DMV office in years- not since the time I forget to renew by mail and had to go in on the last day of the month to get the license renewed.

There was nothing funny about any of this. I don’t care if you do this or not.

I'm with Marty on this one. Sounds to me like you're trapped in the once-Golden State, yeah?

Please share!

Usually when they call someone and there is no show-up, if you show up they will look at your ticket to make sure you are the right person. Trust me they know these tricks.

It could. Or the clerk could ask to see your number, and if it does not match, take your number away from you and make you start over. I can see it going either way.

• marty

Who knows? Try it and find out. I like living in small town where I can just go in and out of those places with a 5 minute wait max.