Is Tesla power wall economical? I live in Boston MA and heard that based on variable pricing in electricity it can pay off?

Do you have any solar panels/wind turbine? Or does your utility have a time-of-day pricing plan you can opt into? If you have neither of these, then the power wall would be a waste of money since there would be no possibility for a payback. If you do have these, then you should be able to calculate how much power you can store and how much it costs and how much you would save to see if it is worth it.

Each cost U$10,000 without other expensive solar panel.

Read this link.....

https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/powerwall

Besides, Boston winter is very cold and has less than 4 hours full sun shine, means unable to charge back power wall battery power.

Only fools might install this unit that only good for the first 5 years before arrive the replacement interval.

If you are programmed to recharge during the so-called off hours (usually in mid-night), you'll get better rates than if you use grid power during the day. While Tesla power can't be maintained for an entire day, it can be used to supplement the grid power and that will save you some bucks over time.

But, a big BUT, you have to factor in the investment costs to figure back the pay-back period. The Tesla wall battery is not cheap. And you'll have installation costs because your house electrical system will likely require some upgrading to handle the heavier than normal loads of the Tesla power pack.

Bottom line, we can't answer your question definitively. Someone has to crunch the numbers for your specific case. But in general it is likely that you can save some money over the long haul.

• jehen

A single Tesla wall will run $10,000 - $12,000 installed. If that saves you $100/mo by tapping those Kwh during peak demand, it would take up to 10 years to 'pay' for itself. I think the economic benefit is a side note. Resilience and reduced carbon footprint are the selling points. Where I live, I could possibly power my home completely with a solar array and Tesla wall. But my highest electric bill ever was $215. It averages about $120/mo. So the investment payback if far too long to jump on to save money. I imagine in a few years the calculus may be much better if carbon-based energy begins to get more expensive and alternatives like Tesla wall come down in price.