Sarah asked in HealthWomen's Health · 7 months ago

Can women take Silodosin/Rapaflo?

My urologist prescribed this medication to me (20 year old female) and I'm reading online that it is "not for use in females" or "should not be given to women." Are there any doctors that can confirm this, or female patients who have taken this medicine?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

There's no benefit, for women. It works on the prostate, which females don't have.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

If your questions have not been adequately answered by your doctor, then don't take the medicine. Since you don't mention what condition you are taking this for, there's no way to give you any more information. It would be helpful if you added details to this question.

• MissA
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

I'm assuming you have kidney stones or a bladder blockage? Because yes, that drug was designed for men with prostate problems.

Doctors are allowed to prescribe medications "off-label," meaning that the manufacturers and the FDA (or whatever your local government's equivalent is) have not gone through the extended and expensive process of getting it formally certified as a treatment for a particular condition or group of people. An example is that Wellbutrin is approved for treating depression but is *often* given to people with bipolar. When doctors do this they are supposed to have a good reason: published research for this condition, experience with the medication, etc. They shouldn't just throw it out randomly. However just because a drug is off-label does not automatically mean it is the wrong choice for you. A lot of drugs don't go through the formal testing process for every single possible class of patients.

You are allowed to call them back and ask why they prescribed it, why they think it's the most appropriate/safe choice, and if there are alternatives that *have* been qualified for women, why you didn't get one of them.

• Pippin
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

What was it prescribed for? Sometimes meds DO have 'off-label uses' and the doctor would have explained why he feels you need this, and the risks and benefits.

• ...Show all comments
    • kelvin
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

ask your doctor if you can try using coconut water or pineapple juice as they are said to work rather well for that problem without harmful side effects

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • kelvin
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

both of those medications are not for women as they are for men with enlarged prostates and you need to discuss this with your doctor

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.