I can’t sleep, I work 12 hrs Mon-Fri... Swing shift 2 weeks day shift / 2 weeks night shift. What can I do ?

I really think I can’t sleep due to stress .... I found myself getting less than 8 hrs a week of sleep. Some days/nights I can’t sleep at all. I also find myself at work unable to pay attention from being so tired and sleepy. I can’t sleep when I know I have to get up and go to work the next day but the days I am off I sleep on and off throughout the whole day... the crazy thing is I’m a 21 year old female ... I shouldn’t be this tired right ? At least that’s what I get told all the time. I don’t want to try sleeping pills ... bc I have before and my experience with those was terrible. What else can I do ?

• Eva

It's the swing shift that's causing your problem. Your body just can't adjust to changes that often. There have been a lot of studies done on this. A lot of places have either abandoned it or made the periods longer. One month to 6 weeks days, then the same period for nights.

Schedule an appointment with your family doctor. When the doctor asks what brings you in today show them what you have written here. Use that as a basis for having a frank discussion on how you are doing. They can do a full physical and neurological workup to see if you have a medical condition that needs to be addressed. They can also check if anything you are taking or doing may be causing or contributing to your issue. They can refer you to a sleep specialist for a sleep study. Your family doctor can refer you to a mental health professional who can evaluate your mental state. Be sure to show them what you have written here also. Once a diagnosis has been made, treatment options can be discussed.