CR-V 1998, while driving the engine dies suddenly. I couldn't start it at first then I waited 5 min then it started.?

The next day, I drove my car and it happened again. But this time I noticed the engine light indicator turned on before the engine died. I waited for another 5 minutes then it started. Any opinion on this?

Opinion on it is not useful to you. Since you saw the check engine light, there is a stored trouble code. Pull that with a code reader if you want you know where to diagnose the problem instead of puzzling over a dozen bad guesses. OBD2 will never lie to you.

• Dan

You have a bad PGMFI (Main) relay, a very, very common problem. Either take it out and solder it up if you know how or buy a new one. A simple web search of "honda main relay" will show more than you ever wanted to know about this problem.

• Kenny

If the engine light came on then get the error code that may tell you what is wrong.

• martin

Happened exactly like that, check engine light was on, very embarrassing, stalled again and again after restarting after cooling down--turns out it's some part of the engine called the crank position sensor that wore out and had to be replaced--didn't cost all that much.

• Carson

It sounds like vapor lock, but Idk if new cars do that.

Regardless I think it is a fuel delivery issue. The ignition could could be head soaking, but I don't think it would start up that quickly.

Have the code pulled at AutoZone.

It could be something as cheap as a fuel tank cap or expensive as a fuel pump and filter

Fuel starvation? Check filler cap/tank vent, check fuel filter. Blockages here can restrict fuel flow to the point the engine starves, then after a while enough seeps through for it to run again. Often briefly.