Jelly’s asked in PetsFish · 6 months ago

Which fish is healthier for you farm raised or wild caught?

Favorite Answer

Honestly that's a good question, and my honest answer would be wild caught because fish raised on a farm will be given special antidotes with antioxidants and chemicals than a natural fish caught in the wild.

• J C

Farm raised fish should be avoided - most Tilapia comes from China and IMHO is not fit to eat. Farm raised fish are raised in dirty ponds - sustainably caught wild caught fish is a much better option. Many farm raised fish - like salmon - are fed unnatural diets, live in dirt, and salmon is then fed dies to give it the color that it gets in the wild where it eats it's natural diet. Sustainable fishing practices of wild caught fist are the best - the seller should be able to tell you it's source, or the package will state it somewhere on the packaging. Frozen fish is often 'fresher' than the 'fresh' fish in stores - it's frozen when it's caught. It's then thawed and put in the display case. I buy the frozen stuff, unless I am going to a store that specializes in fish.

Short answer though - wild caught is better for you.

• Satan

Both have their plus and negative points.

Both are equally healthy for you.

Oily fish (High in Omega 3) though are not usually farmed as they live in deep sea water

• y

Supposedly, wild is much better for us. But I'm of the mind that all commercial fishing should be stopped until the numbers come back to healthy levels at least.