Is it dumb to embrace a relative you barely know, as if to say you're proud to share the family tree, but that relative is immoral & corrupt?

Let's say you have a cousin (through six degrees of separation) who you didn't grow up with, therefore missing all of the cousin's birthday parties. This cousin uses words like "f@ggot" and "retard" to describe gays and people with autism. But all you can think to yourself is,... show more Let's say you have a cousin (through six degrees of separation) who you didn't grow up with, therefore missing all of the cousin's birthday parties. This cousin uses words like "f@ggot" and "retard" to describe gays and people with autism. But all you can think to yourself is, "She shouldn't use words like that, but OMG, she's such a great person. I love my cousin!" Meanwhile, a friend of yours also uses those same two hurtful words, to which you think to yourself, "The nerve of her!" with nothing positive to say about the friend elsewise.

I understand that mothers tend to play that same "double standard" rule, particularly if their son is a murderer who was incarcerated. Naturally, a mother would say "My baby can do no wrong" while forever holding O.J. Simpson in the lowest regard. When it comes to family, it's natural to always come to their defense... but only if they're IMMEDIATE family. Is it ridiculous to defend a morally corrupt relative you barely know, just because you feel proud to be part of the same bloodline?