Brian asked in PetsDogs · 6 months ago

Is it time to say goodby.?

I have a 16 year old silky. Since last Sunday Toby has hardly eaten anything. This is not uncommon for him, But when he has a piece of chicken or ham it just runs through him. He is very thin a the back end and looks thoroughly miserable. He has to be carried outside and is very wobbly on his legs. He is also having accidents in the house. I`m thinking he is now confused and depressed. I don`t think he is in any great pain. Toby has been deaf and totally blind for the past 5 years. do you think he has had enough ?

I don't know. I haven't known any time you asked this.

Again, I'd suggest a conversation with your Veterinarian.

That is a hard call. If he is not suffering in pain & has happy moments of cognition it is not time yet. If his legs aren't working & you are able to care for him, do what you can to make him as comfortable as possible.

Most all the dogs I have had euthanized were in great pain for one reason or another. & I felt it was necessary to do so. But I have a dog with skin cancer & I don't think I will have her put down. I am feeling more & more that she can die in peace at home, as long as she is not in severe pain. She's 15 & has all the aches & pains of an elder dog, just as in elder people. Not bad enough for constant pain meds, just occasionally.

I usually tell people that when it is time you will KNOW it. & you will have no doubt.

This is a decision you should make with the help of your vet. You need informed input. It is NOT NORMAL for food (even human food -like ham or chicken) to "run through" a dog. If the dog has digestive issues it might be fixable - like a lack of digestive enzymes, a case of irritable bowel, pancreatitis or a sign of some sort of cancer (especially if the dog has little to no appetite). BUT... if the dog has a cracked or some rotted and painful teeth - it might also have problems eating.

Almost ALL senior dogs develop difficulties walking. Many dogs have some degree of arthritis, spinal issues and/or bad knees. HOW do you KNOW whether any of that can be fixed, if there was never any vet visit for a diagnosis?

Just HOW LONG....has it been since your dog has seen a vet for a FULL PHYSICAL? (Senior dogs should see the vet every 6 months.) Fifty percent of all dogs (over 10 years of age) do develop some type of cancer. Surely, you have not IGNORED the health of your dog?

If your dog cannot walk well, he may INDEED BE IN PAIN - not just having difficulty with balance, or due to blindness (but you would not KNOW THAT - if you have not BOTHERED to consult YOUR VET)!

With the honest opinion of a trusted vet, then you make a decision like this. If your vet (or one you might consider taking a second opinion from) has anything left to offer, he will BUT I have to say that regardless, only YOU know your dog and when there are more down days than up days, it's time - especially if a dog stops eating.

I know how hard this decision is, but put your own feelings to one side, for now and give him peace. At least we can do this for our beloved pets. There is no need to allow 'lingering'.

• Edwena

Yes. When it gets to the point that the dog cannot walk and it is a burden on you to carry the dog outside, the dog is suffering. Pain, constipation, etc. If you are going to bury the dog at your place, then prepare the grave and find something suitable to carry his body in, like a towel used as a shroud. Take him to the vet, wrap the body in the towel, come home and bury the dog immediately. You will feel better by not lengthening the process.

If the dog has a quality of life in spite of this he should live. I don't think you should have him destroyed because he makes a mess.

• In

A Silky Terrier has a lifespan of 12-15 years. You dog's borrowed time is about up. Consider doing the humane thing and let him go.

It’s not time to say good bye I have a 18 year old fox terrier who’s been worse doctors will always tell to to put them down when they are old. But that is not true he has fight in him still look for alternative options